Agnostic.com

4 1

A recent article in the "Seattle Times" should be worth shouting about. "How States 'nones' helped pass sex ed." by the journalist Danny Westneat.

Somehow I can't seem to emphasize with those living in the 'bible belt.' Living here that seems a foreign concept.

[seattletimes.com]

JackPedigo 9 Nov 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We need more education on sex and how to make money. About 90% of what I learned in school. I hardly used it.

Just think how many young people wouldn’t be having babies if they were educated on this subject! It breaks my heart to see young girls having babies.😢

In the south, what it takes is the courage of individuals. In the mid=1960s in central Florida, I taught high school biology. I went to the principal and told him that I wanted to teach a unit on sex education. His response was, "it's your ass on the line." I very carefully planned it. I told the biology students that I wanted to do it, and asked them all, by secret ballot, if anyone would feel more comfortable being taught, segregated by sex. One female said she wanted to be caught the unit in a girl's only group.

I went ahead and taught the unit, without a single complaint from students or parents. I have s strong hunch that the students who had parents who might have complained simply did not tell their parents.

If I had publicly asked for permission, I would not have gotten it.

Thank goodness there are educators like you! Our education systems need more like you to step up to help kids learn about this subject! A hardy pat on the back, and thumbs up from me!😉👍

Congratulations, Washington state nones. My wife taught comprehensive sex ed to fifth graders in Austin, TX, before the state went red.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.