Agnostic.com

10 1

How Did You Become Athiest?

If you identify as a atheist, how long did it take you to come to that conclusion, and how?

ryanneburch 3 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think I ever became an atheist. I aways was but didn't know that my view on life, the universe and everything had a name. But I always knew that I was a humanist.

I was born.

d_day Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

I became an Athiest by reading the bible. It led me out of Christianity with it's absurd stories and in Hebrews chapter 6 it told me to mature, so I did! I've been trying to throw off the last vestiges of religion for about 25 years and I'm a much happier person without it. The Baptist church held me back from exploring who I really am as a gay man and I lost about 30 years of my life trying to live as someone that I'm not. As a church organist I saw the hypocrisy of people thought to be 'pillars' of the church and their stupid attempts of controlling other people. These fundamentalists are the most unpleasant people I've ever met, they lie and do not exhibit the love they talk so much about.

I was thrown out of the Baptist church because I wanted to follow a gay lifestyle. I had been an experienced organist with that organisation and was told that I would not be allowed to play the organ for church services again as I might affect the little children! It was the best thing that could have happened to me because it allowed me to stand one side and evaluate what I had been a part of. I have had other appointments as a church organist but I've made it quite clear as to my sexual preferences and I've not had a problem. At 73 I'm making up for lost time in following what is True to me.

I have been a nontheist as long as I can remember. Hypocrisy, prejudice, and obscure ideas were apparent to me always, within the church. One of first questions was where are the Dino’s in the Bible. Then where did the wives come from.

I know the exact moment I knew I’d never become a believer—when my mother explained why we weren’t Catholic anymore. She was kicked out of the church for divorcing my father. That’s the moment it clicked—this god didn’t care about my mother. If her god didn’t care about her, I sure the fuck wasn’t going to give him the time of day.

We are all born Atheists. ....I was always taught racist McCarthyism that white Americans are supposed to nuke godless komnusts but that did not fit my kindergarten world with my teacher "a nigger" according to my dad and "colored" by mom.....add to that bigotry against my Jehovah Witness great aunt Mable and I loved both women. ...love is much stronger than stupid hate.....now the Santa Claus lies really pissed me off and imagine my horror being told boy Ishtar bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns? ???? Knowing where baby pigs kittens puppies chicks and calves come from vaginae just could not be cast aside for a vaginal virgin birthing an alleged baby god in a dirty donkey stable. ....I never believed and was scared of the now I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP prEyer. ...I did not want to DIE BEFORE I WAKE and I wanted to keep both soles on the bottom of my feet. ....I finally learned what real Atheism was in 3rd grade making a model PARTHENON denied a picture of the alleged god Athena. ....I learned I was a scientist like Walt Disney science cartoon maker and Atheist Albert Einstein who died when I was 4.....I became the name Atheist inspite of all the religious liars. ...I was loyal to truth and love ever since kindergarten

I learned at around 11 or 12. It happened fast like when I figured out the Santa Claus conspiracy. My mother dragged me to church and made me go to Sunday school class as usual where on that particular day our teacher for whatever reason really showed his ass. Before the class was over he had taken his shirt off screaming at us to look the hair on his chest and how real men pray to god. Scared the shit out me. When I got home I told my dad about what happened. As far back as I could remember my dad had never set foot in a church and after that day I never did either.

I grew up catholic. The catholics have this thing that they call a search weekend, which basically amounts to a four day long brainwashing session for kids in middle school. It's not "required", but a lot of parents ship their kids off to these things.

While you're there, they cover the windows, lock all the doors, and take all clocks and watches away. They tell you that they do it because you're on "god's time", but what it really amounts to is a psychological ploy to confuse your mind.

Throughout the four days you are there going through this lunacy, you are literally bombarded almost the whole time with catholic doctrine and massive guilt trips. The only time this is not going on is when they actually allow you to sleep, which is, of course, rare and sporadic.

They keep telling you throughout the whole ordeal that what you are going through is not brainwashing because.... get this.... "the Pope approves it".

I think that was really the turning point for me. I kept thinking to myself, if it smells like shit, looks like shit and tastes like shit, is it not still shit even if the Pope says it isn't?

Needless to say, I walked out of that four day weird fest unbrainwashed and far less of a catholic than I was when I walked in. That's when I learned how to put on a good show, because I was always afraid that if I didn't my parents would send me to another one of those damn things.

I was upset with the last church for disrespecting me and my questions. I had been a closeted atheist since I was 10-years-old. I just had to follow my families religion until I grew up and told them, "No more god shit!" My aunt still makes me pray when I go eat with her for a meal. My friend helped me understand what an atheist was. I knew I didn't believe in god. I didn't know more people like me were out there, until a year ago. All around me I'm surrounded by Christians. Work, home, and the general public. My city is the most religious city in the state. I stand alone at work as an atheist. There is one agnostic there though. The rest are all pious. Also, life tragedies that have happened, made me come to realize there is no god.

I actually worked on a garage door for one of the high ranking members of Focus on the Family a couple of weeks ago. A nice gentleman, but needless to say I kind of avoided the whole religion thing as much as possible.

I've never visited that place since I moved here.

Being forced to go to Catholic church.

Basically, I just began thinking for myself. One day I dared imagine what the world would be like if there wasn't a god, and a lot of things began to make sense. Things that were once so contradictory suddenly no longer contradicted at all, and were merely the inventions of people I didn't really know trying to make sense of their small corner of the world. A myriad of dogmas all tied up in knots suddenly disappeared. It began sometime during high school and I believe (though I'm not quite sure) was all sorted out in my mind by the time I went to college.

godef Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

It took me a few years after I got serious about seeking God's will. The more I sought answers in the Bible and elsewhere, the less I believed. Finally there was nothing left.

A little more detail. I considered myself a Christian even before I got serious about I, but I was a casual, never go to church kind of Christian. I was 32 when I had some things happen that made me serious about my religion. By the time I was 40, I was more of a Pantheist, and not long after that I was an atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.