Agnostic.com

3 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They had to speak to futures generations and what kind of bs they can come up with. Trump out smarted by history. Most likely he fell asleep during history class, unless it was learning about dictators.

A Bing search found “John Yoo, the lawyer who wrote Bush's 'torture memos,' ....”

And he’s holding forth on Constitutional law?

Have we ever had a president who didn't concede? There have been candidates for other offices that didn't concede ever, some of them have been incumbents. It doesn't matter really but for a sitting president, he could use his position as commander in chief to take charge of the military. If unsuccessful, which I think it would be, it could put him in prison. I almost hope he tries it. ALMOST.

Not since it became a thing in 1896. But what do you expect? Conceding is a classy, honorable, democracy-affirming action, things Trump never has and likely never will be associated with.

@JeffMurray Concession by a losing candidate go back further than 1896. William Jennings Bryan sent William McKinley a concession Telegram which was the first electronic message to the victor. Since then there it's customary to telephone the victor and congratulate them. Can you give me an example of a presidential candidate who refused to acknowledge the results of an election? This is particularly disturbing when it's an incumbent commander in chief who is in control of our military.

@barjoe "No modern presidential candidate has refused to concede. Here’s why that matters." [api.nationalgeographic.com]

@JeffMurray Adams hated Jefferson. He did not contest the election in 1800 but refused to participate in the inauguration. Andrew Johnson wasn't a candidate in 1868 but refused to attend the inauguration of US Grant, a great man who's maligned in history by rewritten history textbooks distributed by Daughters of the Confederacy, the women's auxiliary of the KKK. Donald Trump may become the first president ever to refuse to agree to peaceful transition of power. There is no historical reference for that.

@barjoe Your responses make it seem like you think I'm disagreeing with you...

@JeffMurray Not at all. Just adding to your very informative comment. I come in peace my friend. I was an American history major. It's all good.

@JeffMurray @barjoe’s responses have left me with the same impression. His first words take him the direction he wants to go.

When he is “Just adding to....”, he could say so but until his above explanation he hasn’t.

@yvilletom I'm sorry sir. I don't mean to come across as an asshole. I'll try to be more sensitive going forward. I have disagreed with you in the past but I think you're a very nice man. I'll try to be more like you.

@barjoe Don’t BS me either.

@yvilletom You have a little edge to yourself as well sir.

@yvilletom @barjoe
I figured he wasn't, I was just confused.
I don't think any of us need to be arguing with each other these days with that orange fucking maniac and his 75 million brainless cretin minions on the loose.

@JeffMurray Agreed. You're a good guy. Please be safe during the horrendous viral wave of this pandemic. I remember you telling me you're a healthcare worker. Peace brother. That goes for you too @yvilletom stay safe from this awful plague. Wishing you well.

@barjoe I'm trying, but we had two exposures today. The first was a patient whose Covid test was still pending until about 20 minutes after her bronchoscopy when we found out she was positive. The second was our assistant manager whose office is also our lunch room (the only place any of us are ever without a mask). We're all going to die. 🤮

@JeffMurray Get tested Jeff. Take every precaution. I would bag a lunch. Eat alone or try intermittent fasting. Just a thought. Please stay safe.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:552370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.