Agnostic.com

3 1

While this seemed even tempered if you read her reasons all seem to boil down to "They're idiots"

[theweek.com]

Dallasdave 5 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Other than those greedy bastards that vote only because of lower taxes, if you vote for a racist, misogynistic, lying, amoral, immoral POS, I can only conclude that you are also a POS, period! This of course makes one really stupid, evil, or both, none of which is a good thing.

If you want to get analytical about it, the Trump voters amount to just a few groups, some of whom overlap in their mindsets. Greedheads, who you referred to as those who don't want to pay taxes or fund the common good. Evangelicals who sold out their religion for getting conservative judges to go with the lip service of the Repubs on religion. The QAnon nutcases. Gun loving nuts. And, finally, bigots of all stripes who hate women, queer folk, racial and religious minorities, and liberal culture. In other words, nobody matters except white males and maybe the conservative obedient women they're married to.

Our country would be so much better if they all did die off or leave.

I respectfully disagree with your commentary.

The point of the article is that Trump voters' reasons make sense, to Trump voters. They may not make sense to you or me (and I'll wager good money they probably don't), but then again, politics are now so polarized that the reasons I voted for Biden seem obtuse and ridiculous to Trump voters, too. More and more, many people who think about politics at all seem to commit to a candidate or party for almost religious reasons, and won't even hear an argument against them. Statistics and history are waved away as products of biased liberal universities. The candidate's own words are ignored, or they become a game of "whataboutism"- "my candidate may have said this, but yours said something ten times worse!"

That doesn't make them "idiots", it means they're so committed to this particular view that they aren't going to change for anything or anybody. You or I might think that's idiotic, but a person might otherwise be very intelligent. That's what's so damn frustrating.

In Trump's specific case, his boorishness is exactly the reason many of his supporters think he is "authentic"; they actually believe everyone is like that, deep down. It was maintained to me, by a black man at my workplace who also likes Trump, that "Everyone's a racist;" in other words, I presume, he's biased against me because I'm white and assumes I'm biased against him because he's black. He just feels Trump is being honest and forthright when he's openly racist. It doesn't enter his worldview that there are people who genuinely are not racist.

This would be one of many examples where someone could support Trump (and Republicans generally) for what they consider perfectly good reasons, where someone like me would argue (and did argue) "That's just not reality." But all evidence to the contrary is dismissed.

I make no attempt to apologize for any of them. Biden wants to go with healing and that may work for him. I'm not on board. It's us and it's them. I don't like them. I don't want to like them and I don't want to understand them. I tolerate them.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:552940
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.