Agnostic.com

7 3

A Modest Proposal For Centrist Democrats: Join the Republican Party.

[duedissidence.com]

skado 9 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sure as hell wouldn't miss the corporate Dems pols and their supporters if they left the Dem Party for the Repubs, but I don't ever see it happening in my lifetime. The chances of a third party emerging that got the support of progressives and the poor who don't vote is probably more likely than the Dem Party reforming and again starting to represent the poor and progressives instead of the corporate donors and the liberals in social issues only.

Can't do it. The "center" of the Republican party is now so far to the right that a moderate Democrat like me looks like a leftist by comparison. The only way to save that village is to burn it.

Also, this author's obvious contempt for moderate Dems like me is exactly what's wrong with a lot of "progressives". It's a "with us or against us" mentality that's no different than the Republicans.

@Fred_Snerd I see that all idiots aren't republicans. Well done.

@Secretguy I guess Fred went ahead and blocked me for some reason, or else he deleted his comments. I can't see them. Shame.

The article is a piece of sophist political history. It fails to factor in the repulsive effect that Trump, McConnell, Cruz, etc, has had on the image of the Republican party. The word "fascism" does not adequately describe the level of nausea. We need to let them self destruct because they chose to enable the worst humans our country had to offer.

I am a liberal. If the Progressives were taking over the party, Sanders would have won the nomination. He got less support than in 2016. The Democrats need to get better at messaging. "Defund the Police" was terrible for the Dems, and I know it cost them many votes in Senate races they thought they would win. The Republicans are very good at messaging and have been for a long time. The Democratic Party is the most diverse and complicated party in the world of politics in the history of the world. We are a moderate country, probably because of the strangle hold religion has on so much of the populace. Until our country reaches a point like most European countries and put religion in a proper perspective, this conservative bent will not change in my opinion. Our divide is most definitely urban/rural. It shows clearly in the maps of the voting patterns in 18 and 20, and I don't know how you fix that especially given the power of the social media.

Excellent analysis. Fat chance though.

A Democrat president can't do much with a GOP Senate. This is a right wing country. It's not easy. Obama did the best he could. You've seen what happened the last four years. Let's get this president inaugurated. Give him a chance. Fuck Republicans

I've been convinced for years that the centrist corporate Dems were closer to Reagan than to FDR. Personally, I prefer Tulsi, and AOC to Biden, Harris, and even Buttigieg.

Honestly though, I think the fact that we as voters are only given two realistic options is really hurting the country. Maybe a third major party would be a better option. Maybe we could choose candidates who support the Constitution and not just their favorite amendment.

JimG Level 8 Nov 19, 2020

AOC is a Puerto Rican who got elected in a mostly Hispanic district. She would lose badly even statewide in NY. She's not old enough to lose for president. Tulsi Gabbard is far more conservative than Joe Biden, so your not consistent with those two. Doesn't make sense. Unless you think they're both hot. AOC is left wing and Tulsi is leaning right, she also has taken pro Russian stance on foreign policy.

@barjoe I don't agree with everything any candidate proposes. I don't really think AOC has a chance to be elected President, and I think Tulsi Gabbard presents a much better military policy. I don't think she'd cave to Russia like Trump does, but I haven't seen anything to indicate she's any further right than Biden and Harris were initially. Biden has shifted left since he started his presidential campaign.

@JimG Biden shifted left 2012 left of Obama. Tulsi Gabbard sided with Russian re Syria, Turkey, Iran and NATO. Troop withdrawals Trump did in Germany and doing now in Iraq and Afghanistan directly benefit Russia.

Lose lose al credibility with the mention of Gabbard.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:554183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.