Agnostic.com

10 12

Classic Pear Crisp- delicious and healthy

"Just took pear crisp out of the oven," I texted my elderly friend Billie yesterday at noon. "Made it healthier. Want to watch 'Call the Midwife' this evening? I will bring dessert."

"Well, yes," she replied. "That would be great- especially the dessert part!"

To let the flavor of the pears sing, I reduced the flour, SUGAR, ginger and cinnamon. If you like it spicier, increase the cinnamon and ginger.

Pear crisp is the perfect dessert for the fall and winter season. Choose larger pears like Bartlett or Anjou, as they will hold up well to cooking temperatures.

Pear Crisp

For filling

• 6 pears, cored, peeled and sliced
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 cup granulated SUGAR
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

For topping

• ½ cup packed brown SUGAR
• ½ cup whole wheat flour
• ½ cup rolled oats
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
• 4 tablespoon butter, chilled

Directions

For the filling, toss pears with lemon juice and ginger in a mixing bowl. Then mix together flour and SUGAR, and sprinkle over pears. Toss everything to mix the filling. Spoon into a lightly buttered baking dish.

For the crumb topping, mix together brown SUGAR, whole wheat flour, oats, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pulse dry ingredients in a food processor until crumbly.

Grate chilled butter into dry ingredients. Using a food processor or pastry blender, cut butter in mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle over pears.

Bake in 375-degree oven for 30-45 minutes until pears are tender and mixture is bubbling.

Nutritional Information (8 servings)

Per Serving: One hundred forty-five calories.

Agnostic.com has a "bug" that deletes and changes words and numbers in my posts. That's why I capitalized SUGAR and spelled out the calories. This has been a problem for over a year. I keep emailing Agnostic.com with the problem and a link to the post.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

😋...I'll be right over😃

I love pear crisp, your looks delicious!

That sounds delicious!

Looks delicious. Basically a pear version of apple crisp.

So I just won the lottery and I am going to get a Lamborghini so I can get to dinner before the pictures get cold. Keep posting pictures. Surely I jest.

Never heard of this, but I love pears.

From the photo it appears that there's only one possibly two servings left, were we having perhaps maybe the munchies? 🤔 😁 🤣 Looks tasty 😊

@oldFloyd

Yesterday Billie and I enjoyed it while watching "Call the Midwife." I left a couple of servings with her.

It goes fast. About two servings left.

Love it,just printed you recipe off,will give it a try sometime

@RoyMillar

Darn it! Agnostic.com has a bug that keeps changing "sugar" to "thing." It's frustrating.

There's 1/4 cup granulated sugar in the filling. And 1/2 cup brown sugar in the topping.

@LiterateHiker LOL I just noticed that now when i went back and re read it, Thanks for the update

@RoyMillar

That's why I capitalized SUGAR. Hope it works.

@LiterateHiker me too 🙂

Yummy! I’ll order one to go please

My mom used to make a pear pie, I loved it. Haven't fixed it in many years. Much like an apple pie, just use pears and maybe more spices. Your recipe looks wonderful, sadly I rarely bake anymore.

My mom found out that I baked, and for years she would hand me off her pears and tell me to make her pies. I would act put out, but I loved doing it for her.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:555226
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.