Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Trump retweets Matt Gaetz Telling Him to Pardon Himself

Is accepting a pardon inherently an admission of guilt? Debatable. President pardoning himself, if that's even legal, is a guilty plea.

barjoe 9 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think accepting one is neccesarally an admission of guilt, but writing one for yourself sure seems like it would have to be.

If I'm wrongly convicted of something and pardoned that would just add credence to my claim of innocence.

1of5 Level 8 Nov 27, 2020

Pardoning yourself is like copping a plea. If you aren't guilty, you don't need a preemptive pardon. It's an admission of guilt.

@barjoe unfortunatly the more financially disadvantaged one is the harder it is to fight charges against them, so people are routinely told to take the plea to get a shorter sentence if they can't afford to fight.

@1of5 I'm confused. Poor people taking plea deals doesn't always mean they're guilty, but they usually are. That has to do with Trump pardoning himself, how?

@barjoe they usually are? Dude, ALL of us are guilty of something, it's just the state determines who to prosecute, typically going for the low hanging fruit to get the highest conviction rate possible. The poor and minorities that disproportionately inhabit our criminal justice system are there because they don't have the resources to fight which makes the prosecutions job easier.

My step brother was a public defender in Seattle for 20 years. Believe me, it happens.

@1of5 Dude? Okay I guess that how you talk. I'm referring to Trump. I agree! The criminal justice system sucks! I'm talking about Trump pardoning himself. If you think I made a bad metaphor, that's fine. All I said was self pardon is an admission of guilt. A guilty plea whether it's fair or not makes him guilty in the eyes of the law.

@barjoe I was agreeing with you on Trump and decided to get on my soapbox for a minute. Its been in the closet for a bit and is kinda dusty.

the two of them together wouldn't equal the IQ of a turnip

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:556165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.