Agnostic.com

6 16

Today's hike: gunfire and a surprise. There's beauty if you look.

Today Karen and I did our go-to hike near town: a big loop above Squilchuck State Park. We hiked seven miles with about 900 feet of elevation gain. I love how snow brightens the woods.

The Wenatchee Valley was socked in with thick fog. As we drove higher, we popped above the fog into blue skies and sunshine. Yay! We were prepared to drive higher to get out of the fog.

"Should I wear micro-spikes?" I asked Karen when we arrived. "There will be ice where you are standing," she replied. "Sold!" I laughed.

To our surprise, one tall golden Northern Larch lit up the woods. It was a joy to see. Golden Week was in late October. We were working our way down a steep hillside. I'd have to be a hovercraft to get a photo of it from the other side.

Northern Larch are one of two conifers in North America that drop their needles in the fall. Their needles turn bright gold for one week in October before dropping.

Since Karen is vegan, I bring meat for her dog on hikes. It amuses me. Today Bonnie got a few chunks of roast turkey breast for lunch. She never gets meat from Karen.

Repeated gunfire on nearby Bebee Ridge made me jump each time a gun fired. Redneck practice? Can't wait for hunting season to be over.

Photos:

1. Beautiful gold Northern Larch branch.

2. One golden Northern Larch tree was a joy to see!

3. Thick fog in the Wenatchee Valley where I live. Come on, wind!

4. Green moss brightens branches.

5. Here's a photo of a golden Northern Larch so you don't have to peer through the trees. October 2018.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful shots

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 27, 2020

beautiful hike Karen! we are finally getting some dry days in Western Washington

Kathleen! sorry

Robert_2001

You can edit your comment. You made me laugh.

Golden larches are so beautiful. Thanks so much!

Looks like a great hike

If it were up to me, I would repeal the second amendment, and make firearms illegal, except for the military and the police.

Other than the gunfire part of it, I like your post and photos. Well done, LiterateHiker. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

I agree with you about banning guns.

@LiterateHiker for the record the AR isn't an assault weapon. It doesn't match the classifications at all

@redhog

I don't care if the sign is not up to your standards. It makes the point.

All automatic weapons and high-capacity magazines should be banned.

@LiterateHiker just trying to help you know what is and what isn't. Thats why that message is mocked. Because the people delivering it don't even know what they're talking about.

@LiterateHiker whatever. Im not defending them I'm giving the actual definitions but you're obviously so high and mighty that you don't need to worry about what actually is and isn't in that definition. I keep forgetting that around here "everyone can share information and ideas as long as it conforms"

Another beautiful day for you out in nature , That view is spectacular ,Just wish you had a better view of that golden Larch that is showing thru the trees , It seems very majastic in it,s own right, We had a bit of fog here this week but now warm and rainy and snow all gone

@RoyMillar

That's the best view of the golden Northern Larch I could get. I'd have to be a hovercraft to get a photo of it from the other side.

@LiterateHiker Yes i know or you would have ,I just seems so special shinning thru the other trees

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:556396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.