Agnostic.com

6 9

COVID-19 crisis hits home and interrupts my volunteer mentoring.

Since 2006 as a volunteer, I have been helping first generation students (children of immigrants) write essays for college and scholarship applications. One of my best success stories is Brenda, who won $269,445 in scholarships in 2016.

With the COVID-19 pandemic, Dennise and I have been meeting in her family home on Saturday mornings with one of her parents chaperoning. Everyone wears a mask. With schools and restaurants closed, there is no other place we can meet. The school district does not allow students to meet in volunteers' homes.

So far, Dennise has applied to four universities and two scholarships. She was accepted by three universities. Fingers crossed for the prestigious, extremely competitive University of Washington that mails out acceptance letters in May.

Today I got a message from Dennise:

I have terrible news. My dad felt sick Wednesday and got a COVID-19 test. It came back positive. We think he might have gotten infected at work. My mom and I have no idea if we’re infected because the clinic won’t let us be tested since we don’t show any symptoms. Because of this, I don’t think I can meet with you in person at my house. I have to be quarantined for at least 10 days and my house is not a safe space for you.

I replied that Dennise and her mother can get tested at the local community health center with many Spanish-speaking staff:

"Dress warmly and bring your phone. They have you wait inside your car. They have parking stalls reserved for tests. Posted in each numbered stall is a sign with the number to call to say you need a test. Everyone is very kind. The wait is not long. A nurse will come outside to you, wearing a robe, mask, face shield, gloves, etc."

"If you can't find the right parking area, just pull in by an entrance. Someone will be there to direct you."

Meanwhile, I can help Dennise apply for scholarships using email and phone.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good answer to Dennise!

@BudFrank

Thank you.

It's terrible that the girl and her mother can't get tested. Here in NY you can get tested without any symptoms.

@BitFlipper

To get tested, I suggested saying they don't feel well, as a last resort.

Happy she told you before you went over again ,Happy they are quarantined, and getting tested ,hopefully father will come thru ok and not spread it. You are such an inspirational person for helping everyone with in your limits, Just hope it was not spread to you ,hard to say when the father contacted it and you were there last ,Please keep us all informed on her and her family as well as yourself over the next few weeks ,Warm heart felt hugs to you

@RoyMillar

Thank you for your kindness, support and empathy. I appreciate you.

@LiterateHiker Thank you for your kind words

Glad to know you, you're good people! I'm waiting for my teaching gig to be allowed again. I volunteer to teach excel at the local libraries. I've helped some get a job or a promotion and sometimes just how to do their household budgets. It's a good feeling.

You are everything that a Xian is supposed to be, and I thank you for that. She is fortunate to have found a compassionate, kind mentor.

She certainly has

This is a beautifully sad story. The world needs more people like you; kind and compassionate just because. Best wishes to every Dennise, her father, and every other 'Dennise' ; may they all in be in such good hands 🙂

Yes the world needs many more like her

@RoyMillar True. In the words of Mahatma Gandhi
“Be the change you wish to see.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558256
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.