Agnostic.com

10 2

Has anyone had to leave a relationship involving children due to conflict with spouse over religion or beliefs?

BeeNoble1081 4 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great advice everyone . I was more asking in general its not something I'm currently going through my bad should have said that.
My wife was indoctrinated by her mom off that televangelist style type believing. She has said she can recall her mom speaking in "tongues." She refers to the CV vaccine as the mark of the beast, she is into fractals and Pascal(not for the math), has 27 crosses hanging in her home and currently has a giant flashing HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS sign hanging from her roof. I'll give her one thing though , the commitment is amazing!

I guess you could say that's what happened with my first husband and I. But I would say that religion isn't ever really the reason for problems.

Relationship problems come from lack of mutual respect, lack of trust, manipulation, etc. Religion can be a powerful fuel for the fire but it doesn't have to be. People with different religious beliefs can still get along if they have respect for one another.

If you're struggling with religion in a relationship, you might want to look beyond the religion and try to identify the real problems. It won't necessarily save the relationship but it can help you build a better life for yourself and your children and make better decisions.

No. They tend to dump me after they realize I am a hairy weirdo.

No ,never have

I'm so sorry. My ex went all fundi on me so I ditched him. It's a very cruel bait-n-switch. I'm so sorry. But there were no children involved.
Do you still love/enjoy this person's company? Because if you leave, they will be able to fuck with your kids' heads. But you gotta live your life. Either way, you will be a positive influence on your children. Again, I am so sorry. Sending hugs!

I have not, no. I did spend some time as a single mother though, after my first husband died, and had a few dates with guys who turned out to be too religious for my taste (one Jew, one Muslim, a couple of Christians).

I'm sorry this doesn't really answer whatever question you're trying to ask.

I'm on the verge of leaving a relationship over a newfound obsession over religion. We have no children.

It sounds like you're living one of the horrors I have hoped to avoid ever since my early dating days. It can be painful when religion suddenly infects the mind of a loved one, especially since, as the saying goes, there's no zealot like a new zealot. Sincerely, my heart goes out to you as you're having to navigate this unnecessary nonsense.

@Godot Thank you.

Nope. I did have a wonderful 12-year living relationship with a great Catholic lady and her daughter from age 7 to 19. The mom grew-up Pentecostal and tried a few other religions on for size along the way, too. We just had an agreement to not discuss religion and it was "sacred". We never broke the rules. When she felt the need to attend a religious event it was no different from going to have her nails done. No need for me to either go, discuss, or even know. Even tho we never ever discussed it, 10-years later I discovered her daughter ended-up an atheist. Snicker, snicker.

"from age 7" ?. Wow, you were an early starter

@Moravian Do the math... that was the daughter. 😉

@mtnhome Not what you said 😉. Nothing to with maths just faulty syntax.

Nope. If someone tries to convert me, I'm out.

I'm too lazy to have ever had children.

I’m glad I never bought any into this world.

Come on, everyone needs a hobby!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.