Agnostic.com

7 2

Anybody Else Symptomatic Today?

At my facility (I work in the prison system, for anyone who didn't know me) we are currently having another outbreak; sorta like the rest of the world. We have had well over 200 positive test results in the last 3 weeks, and my housing unit has had anywhere between 3 and 30 cases a day of positive tests and close contacts. And for basically every one of those, someone has to go into a cell and gather up property, then itemize it, and stuff it into a duffel bag and/or a foot locker. So guess what I've spent every day at work doing. With my mask cinched as tight around my face as I could get it, gloves strapped on, washing my hands in between, pausing not to eat nor drink, staying as far away from everyone as possible.

It may not have mattered. I spent all day yesterday and all morning today coughing like someone who coughs a lot. The classic shortness of breath and tight chest are there too. And I'm starting to get a headache.

Now, it could just be a winter cold. I hope it is. But it could easily be the odds catching up to me. And that would suck, because I've taken every precaution I could, and yet...

So, I'm trying to get a testing appointment and I guess I'm isolating myself even further. Not that I've seen anyone outside work since this started anyway.

Anyone else going through this? Or been through it? It would really help me today to know I'm not the only one (although of course, I know I'm not, but you know what I mean).

Paul4747 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is frightening. So sorry you have to endure constant exposure. I have a lot of respect for those who have little choice in the matter. I am really surprised to hear you don't have more PPE than that. I hope you are able to be tested soon. Keeping a good thought for you.

My symptoms were: (1) recurring fevers that lasted 4 to 6 hours, repeated every other day for over a week, (2) difficulty balancing when walking, and (3) diarrhea. This was in March before testing was available. I was quarantined and monitored remotely from my local hospital. The symptoms lasted about 2 weeks. After 2 weeks without symptoms I was released from quarantine.

I hope you get tested very soon. Please keep hydrated and consider zinc, vitamin D3 and vitamin c. Contact your primary care physician and make sure they know what's going on.

I am self quarantining because I spent some time with a friend last Monday who tested positive that next Wednesday but I have no symptoms.

My age would be very much against me if I contacted it. I hope to hear soon that you tested negative.

With your high risk, it would not be a bad idea to stock up on a few medical supplies. I was lucky I had them on hand, inhaler, baby aspirin, tylenol, pedialyte, thermometer, wet wipes. Hope you don't need them, but it never hurts to be prepared.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, but thanks for letting us know. I haven't had it but have watched some friends and family with it, and sometimes it turns out fairly mild. I hope that's what happens with yours, if it turns out that's what it is.

I am so sorry to hear this. I never developed the cough. Mine was gut, extreme headache, absurdly high BP, and fatigue with sporadic fever.

Seriously, go get a test done. I found the urgent cares in MO more accessible for testing. I called around and found a rapid test and drove there. It protects your status with your employer and gives you something to tell medical personnel if it gets worse and you have to get help.

This disease picks and chooses, there's no guarantees. Attempt to keep your viral load low is the best defense. Also, be sure to keep your vitamin D levels up, D3 is the most bioavailable. Vitamin C and zinc helps. If you can, try to sleep on your stomach to attempt to keep it out of organs. That was the hardest part for me. Keep in touch. It's survivable and many don't have bad symptoms. It could be a bad cold like you said. Keep an eye on loss of taste and smell. That's a big sign.

I am clear so far but now I'm worried about you, although it sounds like you've done everything possible to protect yourself. I would inform your employer of your symptoms asap. I'm real sorry Paul and I hope you will keep us posted on your condition. Hang in there.

Thank you. I called in since today would be a work day, and let the Sarge know what's going on. I have to keep them updated on the situation. I also need to get with my union if it turns out positive, technically I guess I should either way, because we have a lawsuit over making us use our personal leave when we are often picking this up at work. We can't possibly work from home.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.