Agnostic.com

4 7

Bill Moyers

The Shadow Network

with Anne Nelson

“And from the beginning, in terms of their electoral tactics, it has been a matter of weaponizing certain churches and pastors and really exerting tremendous pressure on them to use churches as instruments of a radical right ideology.”

“... and somewhat to my surprise, I found that their prototype was the Southern Baptist Convention, where they decided that in order to move it to the right, they had to use questionable tactics to elevate their supporters to key positions of influence and purge the Southern Baptist Convention of moderates in the seminaries and in the colleges and among the pastors. And it was a fairly ruthless process, and once these tactics were developed, they applied it to the Republican Party. And you had the same kind of tactics going on of purging moderates, some of whom had been in office for years.”

“I don’t think my friends and neighbors and family members went to church thinking, “We’re going to go get told how to vote.” That’s not what they went for. But now that’s what they get. And they are given voting guides in the sanctuaries inserted into the church bulletin, right? You turn the page from the hymn, and there you get the voting guide basically telling you to vote for a Republican.”

“BILL WALTON: This is a spiritual battle we’re in. This is good versus evil. We have to do everything we can to win.”

“Southern Baptists had long believed in the inerrancy of the Bible, that the Bible is literally God’s word. But my generation of Baptists were discovering historical criticism of the Bible and began to change the denomination. And what Paige Patterson and Paul Pressler did was to alarm the Baptists who still believed in the literal meaning of the Bible and said, “They’re going to take it away from you if you’re not careful.” And so they were able to drive the moderate leaders out of the Southern Baptist Convention and replace them with literalist, fundamentalist pastors from churches around the country, including some very large churches. And before we knew it, the Southern Baptist Convention had become a radically conservative Republican denomination.”

[billmoyers.com]

skado 9 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This all could have been avoided if the IRS had done their job and started taxing religious groups for endorsing persons or issues. FFRF sued the IRS twice and won both times but still it goes on.

Interesting in that my late partner's son became a member of the Southern Baptist church. He was definitely a moderate but his wife, born and bred in Virginia was a radical. Her radicalization and her husbands unwillingness to stand up to her forced a separation between my late partner and her favorite son. I wonder how many other families this will affect?

Before Billy Graham jumped in whole heartedly to the government co-opting his religion he actually had concerns that it could happen. Maybe he felt he could control it, keep it in check but money and power talk. Just like trump is simply an end result so it this religious take over of our government.
I've seen it with a couple of hyper religious people around here. They do not listen to reason and one has a court order against her because she was so harassing to her neighbor. The neighbor is agnostic.

Nelson nailed it!!!

The John Birch Society of 50s and 60s has now evolved into Neo-Klan and Neo-Nazis that are embraced by Trump and RNC and supported by huge corporate PAC money. This goes beyond the NRA, Castle Rock and the Charles Koch Foundation. Alt-Right has become normalized.

45 literally owns the RNC.

@rainmanjr GOP has been this way since before Trump was born. Have you ever hear of Father Coughlin, Prescott Bush, Allen Dulles, America First Committee, Sen Joseph McCarthy, John Birch Society...??

@barjoe I know that. I'm saying he actually owns the RNC. [npr.org]

@rainmanjr He does. But it's s perfect fit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558732
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.