Agnostic.com

5 1

Does Love exist?

Given the current social climate, I feel conflicted with complimenting women without it coming across as objectifying. So, how do you tell a stranger that you find them attractive without objectifying them? Do you say something neutral, like, "nice weather", and then casually suggest getting a coffee? Do you offer a mild compliment, like, "your outfit is nice"? Is it selfish to ask a stranger to go out of their way to further socialize with you, simply because you find them attractive to the eye? Is it manipulation to ask a stranger to invest their time in you, when your interest is in the stranger? Is love just one person manipulating another into attraction?

Ginga_Ninja 3 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The header and footer, i.e. the headline and the final line appear to be at odds with the body of your comment. The former mentions love wheras the content of the body speaks of attraction and how to express it. Have you ever heard of flirting? 🙂 If she responds in kind she is interested. If her response is cold make your excuses and leave 🙂 (leaving isn't compulsory, you could just accept the enevitable and have a normal human conversation 🙂 )

My apologies if my question seems poorly worded. The headline question, "does love exist?" isn't meant to be a straight forward question with a simple answer, but an introspective question designed to make people second-guess what their understanding of love really is. Is love just the attraction felt between two people? Is love the attraction of one party convincing another party to be attracted to the first party? At what point does mutual attraction become love? Is love just infatuation, but substituting altruism in place of romance? What is the very concept of 'Love' itself?

Hi...obviously you think a lot, lol. Yes love exists. Hmmmmm. No it isn't manipulation. Well, sometimes we try to get people we love to do stuff but love is about caring about the person.

So, what exactly is the difference between love and altruism?

@Ginga_Ninja Altruism, the latin word for other people, is about being devoted to their well being, which is love. Altruism means selflessness. In caring for you, I leave my previous experience of self, and find you.

Yes it does.

Yeah, I never tell anyone that they’re attractive. Society is so sensitive, we can’t hurt anyone’s feelings, and we have to pamper each other. It’s bullshit and we are weaker for it.

Love is getting to know the person and letting them get to know you. That you are attracted to them goes without saying.

skado Level 9 Apr 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55936
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.