Agnostic.com

37 6

What are your thoughts on Faith?

One of my biggest issues with religion is the whole concept of Faith, or in the religious sense, Blind Faith.

Arguments ALWAY loop back to "I just have Faith." I won't even continue arguing the topic because I know at that point that person has abandoned all logic and reason. It's an adult version of putting your fingers in your ears and yelling "La-La-La-La I can't hear you!!"

To believe in something solely for the sake of believing seems insane to me. Especially when their source is ONE BOOK! The insert religious texts here is not proof! Also, Christian Science is an oxymoron, and creationism is just bad science.

What are your thoughts on Faith? How can/do you rationalise it?

KDzo 4 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say the exact same thing

Faith is what people say when they know their belief system doesn’t pass a rational thinking system. I went to a Lutheran grade school and a day never went by when I didn’t hear that word a dozen times. It’s anti intellectual gibberish and a big reason I became an Atheist. I’m wired to discussions based on reason and facts.

Good George Michael song. Blind Faith had a pretty good album. Other than that ... I have faith in the inherent goodness of man. Yes, I'm disappointed daily, but still i remain optimistic.

There is a very fine line between faith and delusion...

So fine I can't see it.

Its a way of kind of believing without actually saying so.

Same as yours.

Faith in the theological sense is an anti-intellectual evil, the veneration of fantasy over fact, the glorification of ignorance and an insult to human progress.
Faith say truth is a lie, reality is deception and thinking is a sin, faith is double think.
I loathe it.

I think faith (aka hope or wishful thinking) is fien in the absence of facts.

However, when a person believes in spite fo the avaialbe facts taht crosses the line out of the rhelms of faith and into the rhelms of willful ignorance. This is the route mos treligions have taken, as facts disprove various parts of what they believe... they stil choose to believe in them despite evidence to the contrary.

You left out Intelligent Design.

JimG Level 8 Apr 12, 2018

So did God ? lol

@KDzo 😀

I have always asserted the religious faith is a mental illness.
It is based on delusion. Delusion is a symptom of mental illness.

I do not. I permit others to have faith and see no value in challenging it.

I sometimes say “I have faith in one‘s ability to do X” when I really mean I have confidence. but in my case “faith” has an extra element of humor in it when I use it because it implies there is a supernatural element in my confidence. im a technologist, I work with highly complex over engineered systems that I am frequently surprised work at all, so I think it‘s funny.

I think that , like many things, it comes from fear. Fear that this life is all we have. Fear that the universe doesn't care about us. Fear of death. Fear makes you do(and believe) stupid things.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.