Agnostic.com

10 12

Can America Leave this Abusive Relationship?

And it’s when the woman finally leaves that things tend to get violent.

No wonder my nerves are shot.

By ABIGAIL R. ESMAN and DAHLIA LITHWICK

"On Saturday, members of the pro-Trump white supremacist group the Proud Boys descended on Washington, resulting in violence in which at least four people were stabbed, leaving them with life-threatening injuries, according to the Washington Post.

"The reason: fury over Donald Trump’s election loss and the failure of his last-ditch efforts to have the Supreme Court overturn the election in his favor. Days earlier, in nearby Riverdale, Maryland, 61-year-old Kenneth Aaron Tillery killed his ex-girlfriend Tina Harvey, as she sat in her sedan on an early weekday morning. She was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

"These stories are very much, and very frighteningly, the same.

"Every year across America, thousands of women are killed by their domestic partner—a husband, a boyfriend, a fiancé. The catalyst in these murders tends to be the same: The women end relationships after enduring years of abuse, and the men who will become their killers are not prepared to let them go."

"More than 70 percent of domestic homicides occur shortly after the woman leaves her abusive partner. The act of leaving puts her at much higher risk than at any other moment in their relationship. As Wendy Mahoney, executive director of the Mississippi Coalition Against Domestic Violence, told the Clarion-Ledger in 2017, “domestic violence is all about power and control, and when a woman leaves, a man has lost his power and control.”

"Here’s what else is about power and control- Donald Trump and this presidential election. For Trump and his supporters, losing their last-gasp effort to overturn the election results in the courts has released the same rage, the same sense of impossible, inconceivable loss of face, of domination and command, that drives men to kill their girlfriends and wives. They are pushed by the same impulse to do whatever it may take to recapture that command, power, and control—and just like for so many domestic abusers, for some of Trump’s most fervent supporters, “whatever it may take” might include violence."

"That is why Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson had to deal with armed “protesters” outside her home as she decorated for Christmas with her 4-year-old son; that is why a foiled plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer included the hopes of overthrowing the government and launching a civil war.

"Men refusing to let women leave abusive relationships is being scaled up into our national politics. In fact, this impulse—one of many links between domestic abusers, terrorists, and mass shooters—has had counterterrorism officials on alert for some time. The FBI’s former assistant director for counterintelligence, Frank Figliuzzi, for instance, warned last week that America is now witnessing, in real time, the trajectory of radicalization. The probability of an attack is increasing as a result.

“When you see this radicalization process,” he told MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace on Thursday, a day prior to the Supreme Court decision, “when you see a flashpoint coming, meaning that the outcome they wanted isn’t going to happen, eventually the Supreme Court is going to say no, you got nothing, and it’s the court of last resort. And so what cults do in those circumstances, what organizations that seek violence do, is they do something called ‘forcing the end.’ They make happen what they wanted to happen when they see it’s not really going to happen without them, and that’s when the violence occurs. And that’s what I’m most concerned about.”

"To be sure, the number of angry, violent abusers who have taken to the streets or moved to threaten local elections officials remains relatively small. And, as Sunday’s violence in Washington revealed, there are some women among the violent abusers too. But it remains clear that in the face of a loss of power, imagined respect, and honor, the turn to brute physical violence has become a means to accelerate a crisis.

"It is useful to stop and name what we are witnessing: the frantic rage and fury that is inspired and impelled by a man who clings desperately, even now, to a power he does not possess, to a fantasy he cannot bear to recognize has no substance. He is devastated by the rejection, the humiliation not only of losing an election, but of coming in second place.

"Donald Trump, like so many seemingly powerful men, is struggling to understand that he is no longer the most powerful man in the world. He is refusing to accept that he might be an ordinary man."

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Prosecutions for abuses and violence would help America too.

Why does it take so long for an American president to go ? In the UK as soon as the vote is counted, our Prime Ministers, get notice to pack their bags and go in days, and I think that applies to most of the rest of the world, as well.

Before he was elected in 2016, I told my mother that 45 was exactly like my ex. She refused to believe me and even now won't. I've recently had to put extreme boundaries on my mom concerning contact with me. But this is what I went through. The terrorizing, the refusing to believe that anyone would dare to leave, all of it. I was stalked, threatened, a lot of bad things. But if we have enough focused on the importance of our democracy, I think we may be able to get past it. But it's going to require all of it being brought into the open and all the slime under stocks needs to be exposed. We all need to be outspoken about what's wrong about it.

Great write up @literatehiker ,love your comparison between abusive separations and drump ,very true ,spoil brat bully who is not getting away lashing out at everyone and destroying his own future ,not that he really has much future..

The Republican Party and Donald Trump decided a long time ago that they would have an Abusive, bullying, disrespectful and violent relationship with progressive forces in the US as a means of holding on to power. Demographics are changing, and it's only a matter of time before they lose power for good if they keep abusing those they don't agree with. More immigration will result in less support for Republicans. (70% of Latinos vote Democrat). 90% of Black people vote Democrat. The Republicans have abandoned Latinos, immigrants and Africa Americans and decided their base is White and in large part racist. Americas best hope in a new wave of immigration that brings with it demographic changes that cause white conservatives to lose power. Then the Republican party will not be able to Abuse all other sections of society. The Republican Party is an outlier among political parties in all of the developed world. Nothing exists like it in any other wealthy country in the world. The US needs the Republican Party to dramatically change or to become obsolete if the US is to stand a chance of becoming a modern progressive developed nation.

@dermot235

Bravo! Thank you for your clear, intelligent and optimistic reply.

I like the last sentence that he can’t accept he might be an ordinary man. That’s probably the same for many abusers. It is really sad that their self esteem is based on being better than other people.

I wish I could say that I'm calming as things move towards tRump's end politically.
But I'm worried that this is the narrow passage and there's still plenty enough time for it to get ugly.

Citizen.Org has started a tracker system to try to keep a list of his lame duck trash he's strewing. [citizen.org]

Most presidents as they leave office show mercy through pardons and clemency. Trump and the Republicans are pardoning his abettors and accelerating executions.

This is his future

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 16, 2020

The decline of Trump is like looking at the collapse of the third Reich. Trump and Hitler holding onto their fantasies of impending victory just awaiting some wonder-weapon or popular uprising to throw defeat aside.
What I see from across the Atlantic is a level of American society who align themselves with the people their grandfathers gave life, limb and mental health to defeat and rid the world forever of. It is with these that I see as the threat to peace.
Ignorance and poverty appears to go hand in hand with conspiracy theories and anti-vaccers. So be nice to the stupids and the scared. Let us hope that violence does not prevail.

"Ignorance and poverty appears to go hand in hand with conspiracy theories and anti-vaccers*.

VERY TRUE! 👍

The US can get past this, but it will take time and effort.

They can if they really want to ,sure hope they do

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:561230
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.