Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK A quarter of Americans have no religious affiliation. What’s driving the rise in atheism? : atheism

R/atheism page with article about 25% of Americans having no religious affiliation

Hages 7 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Even among the religious people I know, the younger ones are really clueless about basic bible stories, and too many think the Ten Commandments are originally Christian beliefs.

I'd say the rise in atheism and non-theist/non-religious Americans would be that we've fully transitioned into a post-modern society in which the old standards are being revised.

As more and more people leave religion all that is left is the nut jobs.

Religion has been declining since the rise of humanism and science 200-300 years ago. Human rights was never really a thing until then, and it emerged separate from religion. As to science, ask a believer who they are looking to for COVID relief, Anthony Fauci or the Pope? If their child is in an accident, would they take her to the hospital, or the church?

Maybe they’re looking at what the religious leaders are saying and realising it has no bearing on. Christianity. I do hope so. The first step in realising the whole lot is garbage hopefully?

Not a source I’d usually quote, but an interesting article from fox news on the matter:

[foxnews.com]

I suspect trumps base is highlighting the hypocrisy

Even those with no religious affiliation will move their arms around when cornered and blurt out that they believe in "something."

It’s a start, so long as they abandon church and dogma

No affiliation does not mean no religion, there is a lot of mumble jaumble new age woo in a big part of those folks.
Plus, people are not being "converted" you will have to wait for the religious people to die and hope they can't make other folks religious in the process.
The trend is also that religion increase importance as people age...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:562851
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.