Agnostic.com

7 2

LINK Anyone else find the concept of Christianity deeply offensive? : atheism

R/atheism post about Christianity being offensive

Hages 7 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been thinking about this and I think Jesus was a zombie, after all he died and then came back to life. He might also be a cannibal as people supposedly eat is body and drink his blood in ceremonies. He is also kinky as he was on the cross for everyone else's sins, crimes and bad doings. What is your opinion?

I find Christianity to be deeply offensive. Mostly this is because of the various bible books, when and how they came into existence, and the great time frame involved. From that point on it seems that all you have to add is stupidity.

I find the concept of religion deeply offensive, in some ways, but not Christianity especially. Since at the bottom, I do not think there is any such thing as Christianity.
There is rather a whole range of religious, political and social movements that hardly have much in common at all, which generally fit within a vague nominal grouping, based on a historical and often slight connection to a usually misunderstood ancient set of texts.

"Stephen Jay Gould, who spent his life studying fish, discovered that all sea-dwelling creatures are not of the same genus, nor are they in any way related to one other, and that there is no common evolutionary ancestor for all species of fish. He concluded that there is no such thing as a Fish."

No, not really. The book they use as evidence contradicts itself. I don’t find anything Jesus said offensive, the Old Testament and Paul however, pretty bad.

What I do find strange is that people can affiliate themselves to a religion without ever reading up on it and seeing what they are letting represent them.

Offend wouldn’t be the word. In my middle age I kind of see these people as dreamers and easily led. I’m not sure most clergy are true believers, especially going on their behaviour...more leaders. I have more friends that believe in other things like Angels and kinetic energy - (2) than religious ones. Although still unproven those are much less harmful and not meddling in people’s lives, apart from trying to support and help them.

I don’t count my friends that are non practicing Catholics as religious.

I find Christianity no more offensive than Quetzalcoatl.

I find religious zealots of all persuasions to be deeply offensive; I would cheerfully burn at the stake every member of Islamic State.

Well it's not for nothing that I tell believers, if they engage me, that their Bronze Age dead and rising God, messianic apocalyptic death cult has vile bloody beginnings, vile bloody history, and a vile present in terms of its practice, and this is directly due to its ugly sacrifice themes and beliefs. Admittedly, this doesn't usually go down well with them, but if the truth hurts, well, that's not my problem.

I always wondered why an all powerful deity would care whether people believed in them or not. If God really exists or Jesus ever existed, he could prove that anytime he wanted. Anyone who actually says they spoke to God, or God spoke to them, is called batshit crazy. Why is that?

A few religious people have got away with it; but at any given time you’ll find people in a psych ward having religious delusions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:562856
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.