Agnostic.com

13 12

So my kid asked for Wicca candles 🕯️, herbs and book for Xmas. She's 11. I think it's kind of cool because of her age. But it also gives me hope that she will eventually make it to Atheism when she discovers there is no magic. My older daughter(13) is already 100% Atheist. I don't push too much either way. Their grandparents and dad (ex husb) are huge Catholics. Urgh! What do you think, is Wicca headed into our direction? 🤔🤓😁

Summer72 7 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I looked into Paganism when I was younger and ended up an atheist, however, one of my good friends who was a Wiccan actually became a Catholic. It all depends on who you are. When my was interested in reincarnation I explained it to him from a historical standpoint, as well (basically Indian history from before Hinduism existed). I feel like it made it less mystical and more about humans being imaginative to explain the world or assuage their fears. Also, maybe introduce Taoism, as well? Just a suggestion. Good luck!

It would be wise to tell them how YOU personally feel first. But in the end they are going to have to make up their own minds.

They know I'm Atheist and why. It's no a secret in my family.

I think you should contribute by properly educating your own daughter not leaving things to chance, as responsible parents are supposed to do.

Both my kids know I'm Atheist. They also know my reasons for being Atheist. But they also know that the rest of the family is Catholic. I'm not a pushy or controlling person, I expect them to grow and reach their own conclusions.

@Summer72 good, but still not enough. Guiding and teaching is not pushing.

Maybe agnosticism. Atheism is the same thing as theism, and not recommended, by me at least.
Wicca is like pantheism, which is basically where I'm at. But Wicca is a religion, after all, possessed of magical thinking, another questionable and unprovable matter.

More bullcrap from neo deists.

@Storm1752 How is atheism the same as theism?

@Apunzelle They are both 'belief systems,' or rather, theism is a belief system and atheism is a reaction to this belief system; an 'anti-belief system,' if you will. In this way they are joined at the hip, so to speak.
Agnosticism simply says we have no way of knowing one way or the other, so it gives validity or legitimacy to neither school of thought.
Contrary to what some atheists maintain, Agnostics are not 'related to' or 'cousins of' atheists OR theists, any more than Christians are to Jews, regardless of what many Christians think. Ask an orthodox Jew about that! An imperfect comparison but one not without merit.

One of the things I appreciated about Wicca is how it embraced the duality of what it means to be a person. There is no one being charged with being all good and another being all bad. Balance is something to strive for and not taken for granted and nature is to be valued and respected. I don't recall any of that with Christianity. I was deployed with a Wiccan once and, when asked about casting spells, he turned the question back on the person who asked by, in turn asking, "Isn't that what you do when you pray?"

Hmm. I'll have to read up on it so that I can discuss things with her. Thank you.

I think Wicca is good. Nature based. I find a lot of younger people are interested in alternative, spiritual practices that are more in tune with with the world around us.

Thank you. I'm going to read up on it. I don't know anything about it. 😬

Nothing wrong with her exploring wicca. I was a pagan before I became atheist.

Wicca is actually nature study type religion. It pre-dates Christianity and most involved in it are agnostic.

It certainly has an allure to it, more earthy and fertile than most without the constricting dogma. But in the end, it’s just more woo

To me Wicca may be another religion.

It is, but at least it’s escaping the bigger cult....

I guess I'm glad that she is not following her dad or Grandma into the Catholic cult. I'm hoping the Wicca thing is a sign of Independent exploration. I hope she is headed in my direction.

@Summer72 it is , I went that route when I left Catholicism, your a good mom, letting her explore

Even if she doesn't get all the way there, she will be learning how to think for herself. As long as the other parts of the family don't convince her it is evil and whatnot, I wouldn't worry over it.

Thanks. I'm hoping it's a sign of Independent thinking.

Questioning and exploring are absolutely healthy ways to come to one’s own conclusion, and may well lead to atheism in her own time.

For many people the journey to sceptical thinking, starts with abandoning highly organized, dogmatic religion, for less formal religions, deism, then vague spiritual practices, then no practice, and finally soft agnostic, then hard agnostic, before some of them go on to become atheist.

While some just make one big leap, but they are often the ones who have been deeply hurt by religion, and I would not wish that on your daughter.

Best to hope she enjoys her journey and not worry about the destination.

Well said

Thank you!

It is always a good thing when children are encouraged to explore and develop their own beliefs.

Thank you. I'm trying to support her curiosities. She is kind of a follower with her friends, so I'm hoping that this leads to more independent thinking.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:562967
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.