Agnostic.com

7 13

My first poem, age 7. What was your first writing?

It was a 2nd grade assignment. I got an "A." That's why Mom saved it.

The Sausage

I saw a sausage
Running around the street.
He had itsy-bitsy feet.

He ran around
And around
And around

And he jumped from the windowsill
Onto the ground.

I was amazed at the things he could do!
He could even tie his tiny shoe.

That night when he went to bed
He turned a somersault
And fell on his head.

Photo:

Me at age seven on the left with my siblings. Vacationing at Lake Michigan.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was ten I wrote a poem about my grandpa after he died. I don't recall any of it except for the line: "But now you are dead. From the tips of your toes to the top of your head."

Cute! Imaginative poem. I’m glad you’ve kept your creativity. Our educational system seems to want to get it out of kids

Wow! You are a renaissance woman! You are so lucky to have had a healthy upbringing.

Fun poem for your age at the time ,Happy you can remember it and that your mom kept it for you, Memories for ever

I love this, it should have some drawings like Dr. Seuss would have in his books.

@19dacar52

Thank you. I was a huge reader and still am.

My body hasn't changed much. Still energetic and athletic 60 years later.

@LiterateHiker Mine hasn't changed much either, I am energetic as well. Sometimes I wonder if I am thin because I fidget so much..😂

I'm not sure if it was first, but going way back...

biscuits and gravy.
man oh,
man oh,
man
oh man.

@hankster

That's funny! I never ate biscuits with gravy. Is it a Southern thing?

Where did you grow up?

@LiterateHiker it is i reckon. tennessee.

@LiterateHiker
[thesouthernladycooks.com]

[delish.com]

a starting point perhaps....put the LH spin on it and boom, smiles all around.

@hankster

Biscuits I make with whole wheat pastry flour. I put my spin on it.

Whole Wheat Biscuits

This recipe turns out a tender, flaky biscuit on short notice.

1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup unsalted butter, chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk, plus 1-2 tablespoons
¼ cup plain yogurt (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Toss together dry ingredients. Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Mix buttermilk with yogurt. Pour in buttermilk/yogurt all at once, and stir just until the dough holds together.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently for half a minute, just until the dough is no longer sticky and the ingredients are well distributed. The lighter your touch, the lighter the biscuit.

Pat and roll the dough with a floured rolling pin, quickly and lightly, to ¾-inch thickness. Cut with a floured biscuit cutter by pressing down firmly. Don’t twist, or you’ll pinch the sides of the biscuits so that they won’t rise.

Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. Makes about 12. Serve hot.

@LiterateHiker certainly got it spinning. 😁

I find it hard to believe that you kept it. Wow, how did it survive the teenage years ?

@Fernapple

My mother saved it. She did this for all four kids.

After Dad died at 51, Mom sold the big house we grew up in eight years later. "Come and get your things in the attic," Mom said.

So I flew to Michigan from Washington State. Felt delighted to find this poem in my box of keepsakes. Now I have it memorized.

@LiterateHiker My grandmother, made clothes for my Teddy Bear, to stop him, (only male in name, ) wearing out, and it was then kept as an example of her crafting. I then many years later found that I have, in a drawer bottom, a collectable vintage model, worth real money, and doubly so because the collectors like original hand crafted clothing. Maybe one rainy day if I am short of money.

@Fernapple

What a great idea! I will remember that. Thank you.

@LiterateHiker Since it is one of the few things I have of my grandmother, it would have to be, perhaps, the last thing to go.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:562978
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.