Agnostic.com

40 9

About Jesus

The family I grew up in had a Jewish background and somewhat Jewish culture, but we were never religious. After my parents split, my Mom joined a Unitarian church and had me go to Unitarian Sunday school. Unitarian Sunday school is great. It was a several years long comparative religion course! I really learned a lot. Totally worthwhile.Most of the people I know from my experience with the Unitarian church are what I would call "vague theists" Not exactly agnostic, but not that eager to specify the nature of God either. As adults, lots of them have adopted "pet" religions. Neopaganism, Buddhism, Wicca are all popular.
Anyway, my religious education did lead me to a few conclusions. One of them is that there was a real person who this New Testament character Jesus Christ was based on. I'm guessing that he was some itinerant Jewish preacher. There is close to zero historical evidence of this guy. I don't read that as evidence of his nonexistence so much as evidence of his insignificance. It just makes marginally more sense that somebody who was the basis of this character actually existed. Make no mistake, I am certain that the water walking, leper healing, rising from the dead, miracle man is a total invention, that the real guy who the story was imposed on didn't do any of those things, sort of like Washington chopping down the cherry tree or chucking a dollar across the Potomac.

A lot of agnostic and atheist people I encounter hold it as a core belief that this Jesus guy never existed in any form, was completely made up from the whole cloth.

Is it important to you that he did or did not exist?

SKDeitch 7 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It isnt important to me one way or another if Jesus existed. If you read the bible Jesus was a misogynous, closed minded indivudual. So no...

Jesus, Never heard of her.

It does not matter if Jesus was or was not an actual historical person. Almost two thousand years of history doesn't care. The Bible very clearly refutes itself, history very clearly refutes the bible, science very clearly refutes the bible. The fact is Christians are more concerned about being religious than if what they believe in is actually factual. If they were concerned with facts they would bombard us with facts, instead they bombard us with mythology.
I am on the fence as to whether there was a historical Jesus. It just doesn't matter anyway. If GOD told Christians Jesus was made up many Christians would reject him as the devil.

Jesus was a corporate person whose life was dedicated to the Jewish movement led by Hillel. It was the liberal frame of Judaism and remains so. Turning Jesus into a religious saint would violated his own self perception. His teachings often reflect a radical devotion to love, grace, kindness, justice, peace and the like. For me he is a salient figure of the most progressive movement of his time.

This guy is a total fabrication. Why do I think that? If you do a little more research, the historical record shows that in the entire first xtian century jesus is not mentioned by a single Greek or Roman historian, religious scholar, politician, philosopher or poet. His name never occurs in a single inscription, and not found in any private correspondence.

1. The Romans ruled for almost 1000 years
  2. They were near the height of their empire in the 0 - 33CE period
  3. Their leaders would stomp an insurrection in a hearbeat.

If they thought that there were any hijinks going down in Nazareth or Jerusalem, they would have crushed it, and they would have written about crushing it. No records of such 'king' in the area during that time. Huh, you would have thought if he were real, some Roman would have said something about him. And - you are correct! - they WOULD have.

The xtians have had 2000 years to tweak the story (and when you see "King James VERSION" on a bible cover, you kinda wonder if the book was translated, or just re-written). I'm sorry your religious education makes you believe this hoax is real, but don't use your xtian information to make the decision - also use books written by translators and historians. There is a faction of historians that think that maybe the Romans actually started the rumor of jesus and mohammed for control in their outlying areas.

Whether Jesus existed or not doesn't affect my atheism at all. If he did, he was just a human who was a Jewish preacher.

From my limited abilities his father was a roman (Panther, nickname)

Dear Sir, old hippie, did exist in history.......Yeshula as near as I could spell. I've read a few of your things and find you interesting! John

I hold no belief that Jesus Christ ever existed in reality. If there actually had been such a person, I don't think he was any more than a political/religious dissident, who ran afoul of the occupying Romans. I've yet to hear any verifiable or credible evidence of the existence of anyone resembling Jesus Christ. I'm not holding my breath waiting for any either.

Like most traditions and myths in Christianity and the other modern religions, all of the parts of a large portion of the stories and characters are taken from older religions. This has probably been going on since Homo Sapiens were able to communicate with one another. It doesn't matter, tbh. People want to believe in sky cake, they are gonna believe in sky cake. I just don't have time for it personally.

It is important because to deny his existence is to deny most of what we know about history. We are more certain about the existence of Jesus than any other person from antiquity. I'm not willing to let my understanding and trust in historical evidence to be dismantled because I don't like the religions that are a result of the guy.

Don't we have to prove that 'God' exists, first, before we can even have a discussion of whether or not Jesus existed? I mean, if God doesn't exist that makes the next question moot, doesn't it?

Ehhhhhh. People are people. Sadly, NONE of us were around then, so we cannot say. I believe he coulda been a real person. A good guy? Maybe. A helpful guy? Probably. A saint? Sure. MAGIC? probably not. SON OF GOD? Doubtful. But do the last two really matter? Hell, I'd love for someone to see ME as the next son of God, to think that I was so good, and had so much influence, that they'd want to make a WHOLE religion centered around me. It'd be flattering as hell.

I think he may have existed but not as what is described of him(his personality and physical traits)

I also found the Unitarian church to be very open minded. As a member I gave a sermon as to why atheists believe as they do and received applause from the congregation. I was a member until I moved and found no other Unitarian church around. I also served on the board of directors and acted as treasurer. Everyone knew I was an atheist and it did not matter. I currently have many friends from that church.It provided the community that I do not have with like minded atheists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5634
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.