Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Around 100,000 child prostitutes in India under the Devadasi Hindu tradition. : atheism

r/atheism post with article about child prostitution in India

Hages 7 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I recall an article about India (but I don't recall the source) which had a photo with a woman begging in the street with a baby laying in front of her. The caption explained that the infant was likely not hers but she purchased it because having a baby meant she would receive more donations. But the baby was doomed. None of the extra donations would go to its care; the baby would starve to death and the begger woman would likely seek another to purchase. It is a very sad commentary on what desparation causes humans to do.

Sadly, this is known widely for decades and centuries. When I grew up there, we did not just read about them. We all saw them. The society is totally desensitized over all atrocities. How much can we get shocked every day? Today... Yes today you can buy a full man or a woman for under $50. Man is a little more expensive. That slave market starts at 10 pm at night in Northern states like UP, Chattisgargh.

When An Indian Express Reporter Broke Law And Purchased A Woman For Rs 2,300 To Write A Shocking Story On Trafficking [outlookindia.com]

This reporter bought a woman in the market, brought her home and published the article overnight on front pages of a national publication. The government ministry took her custody, put her in a women's shelter and one day she just went missing and has never been found since. High level government officials and politicians are involved in the payoff off this market.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:563769
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.