Agnostic.com

6 3

Political Parties

Good day. I could google this question but I prefer to first get thoughts and comments here from supporters of both parties.
Can the President and Vice President of the US be of different parties?

Unity 7 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure, guess that could happen though. Actually, wouldn't be a bad idea if whether the President was a Democrat or Republican their Vice President was a Libertarian, such a setup might balance things out a little more and discourage partisan politics somewhat.

It's happened before. Lincoln's VP, Johnson, was a democrat. That ended up being a disaster.

In the beginning of this country that was the policy the opposition party Candidate that lost became the VP!!!

Not any more unless the President chooses , when this country started the VP was the runner up in the election

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 28, 2020

Thanks I wasn't aware of that

Prior to the ratification of the 12th amendment we did have a president and vice president of different parties. Martin Van Buren was a Federalist his VP was a Republican. That controversy resulted in the passage of the 12th amendment.

As starving artist said it's probably possible but as stick said it would be foolish.

"U.S. Senate: The Senate Elects a Vice President" [senate.gov]

Thank you

Not a good idea as the Vice President is also the President of the Senate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:564173
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.