Agnostic.com

39 6

Has anybody changed careers mid-life?

I was just wondering what your experience was. What career did you move away from, and what career did you move to?
Any advice?

Plainjane 7 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm impressed just how many people do have a linear career. My laughingly-called-career has consisted of a number of random side steps driven by circumstance. The downside is I've never reached anything like the proverbial pot of gold at the end. The upside is that those areas that I fell into - politics (believe it or not) and lay advocacy at employment tribunals - gave me huge, and unexpected, fulfilment that I would never had imagined. I have no lesson to learn from this, other than maybe if you follow your inclinations you do end up tapping into resources you never thought you had. You do end up poor, though.

I worked for a drain cleaning company for 30 years. At 52 I took a diploma in Art and Design, got a distinction, and now I am a full time student, studying Building Surveying and the Environment at the University of Plymouth.
Love it.
I know I'm fortunate to have this opportunity, but, if you can, follow your dreams.

Had my first retail job at 52, Radio Shack, loved it. This after working as a Funeral Director and a MAss Fataity responder for Fema. Now I'm a Customer Solutions Rep for Career Source Brevard in Palm Bay, FL. The changes have not all been fun bit I like working with people and I hope I can last a few more years and retire at some point.

BillF Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

Whats a career....?

Etre Level 7 Apr 13, 2018

I just changed careers this last year at the age of 50. I switched from the print industry to welding and fabrication. My only advice is do what makes you happy, find a career you enjoy.

I moved back and forth up to my 2nd child at 42. Received my BA in Sociology. No social workjobs-freeze on state hiring whenI graduated. Day care teacher then back to Grad School for Special Education-special ed asst teacher for a year. Worked with special needs kidsfor a year. Career then went to sales, marketing and went that way. Meanwhile my first daughter was born with cerebral palsy. Sales rep career with one year break teaching day care center after 2nd daughter. Back to sales account manager till forced to retire 6 years ago.

Just the expected forced-change of leaving the military, from a straight 10 years of following Army orders, got out and got a degree in MIS and been programming websites/winforms since 2005, and loving it.. had a lot of getting tossed around from job to job, especially around the time Everyone was being laid off (2009) but overall, programmers are highly sought after

Always remember, when one door closes another opens, just step lightly through life's sands some may be quick sand! With that said you have to take the first step, never look back, for the past will not shed light on the experiences of now or tomorrow. Find something in life that brings you pleasure and comport in doing, pursue it with all your passion and life will provide a way!

I went from animal medicine to customer service to TV producing. Hope to stay here, but also considering opening a retail store.

I was an extra in the outsiders, mindhunters and last flag flying. But, I don't think my scenes made the cut.. lol

I was a dairy farmer for 17 years, then I became a registered nurse at 40 !

Just saw your post. Yes, I have changed careers three times. I started my work life as a hospital security officer. I evolved into a hospital safety officer. In 2016, at the age of 57 I resigned my safety job and enrolled in an alternative teaching program. I will graduate in May with my teaching certificate and I have been the teacher of record in my 3rd grade class for the past year. I only wish I had done this years ago.

Goldsmith. Left there, and managed to get a job in an AS400 shop as an Operator. Used that as an opportunity to put myself through school and learn to code. The day that plant shut down, I got a job as a software developer, and 16 years later, I'm still there.

My advice is to pursue something you love.

Nah, but I added a second one. Became a yoga teacher and then started a yoga studio. I kept my day job though, lol. Yoga won't pay the bills but I love teaching.

Optical engineer- then went back to college and got a degree in Public health-project management'
Became a health care access manager- wrote grants, managed country wide projects. I loved both careers. One made more money but happenned mostly on dark labs with invisibler lasers. The other required a totally different skill set. Loved it too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56589
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.