Agnostic.com

14 2

For those who grew up in Christianity or some form of religion in whose after life was contingent on certain things in the present life, how do you break free of the fear of going to Hell for not believing even when you've been making progress in looking at things objectively?

Auty89 6 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If someone gets raped or beaten by someone, then they feel guilt for being a victim. Hell is a psychological association. usually trying to connect pain, burning, and punishment for a long time into one thought. then associating things they don't like to it. Its a sort of mental conditioning.
Once you learn to expose the mental conditioning, it will become very obvious how it is very much a human invention like rape or violence. If God were real and hell and heaven were real, then would any human on Earth have the power to send you there? How would they know these places exist? Were they there? I prefer Neuro Linguistic Programming to be honest. If you can counter hack the concept of fear in a mental projection of hell, then you will start to see how it was planted there in the first place.

argo Level 4 Apr 19, 2018

Clearing out all the dogma of christianity usually takes time, and time truly heals, so be patient with yourself.

So simple golden rule do unto others , better not richer

Hell was invented to scare people into believe crazy unbelievable shit. I was taught that stuff from the time I was able to understand words.
It took a lot of reading and understanding evidence to finally be free of it. Once you're free of the indoctrination, you won't fear it any more. I suggest reading Bart Ehrman. He is an expert on how the Bible was written, and explains it in an easy to understand way.

Easy....satan accepts the supposedly evil people into hell to suffer for their foul deeds for an eternity, which would make him the good guy for punishing evil. On the other hand, the biblical god is willing to accept into heaven some truly evil people such as Hitler and Daumer, which would make him the enabler of genuine evil and thus the bad guy that I shall never follow or worship. Hell doesn't sound like that bad of a place when you consider that much.

I have those concerns too. My usual strategy is to read books that make fun of religion. ie "You Got To Be Kidding: A Radical Satire of the Bible" or "The Holy Bible; The Best God Damned Version." Also, "Holy Shit! The Insanity of Blind Faith" and "Dispicable Meme: The Absurdity and Immorality of Modern Religion."

Read anything by Pat Condell or watch his scathing but eloquent videos on Youtube.

I content myself with the thought that there would be no point for an omniscient and omnipotent god to knowingly and willingly create faulty beings that are "only human" that he would know in advance that he would have to condemn to eternal damnation...unless he was an exceptionally cruel and sadistic entity. Hmmm, maybe god IS Satan!

Never believed so...

If that shit was real, I’d rather to go to hell.

Aren't you afraid of the eternal torment though?

@Auty89 can’t be worse than existing here. If it were real, then my son would be in hell due to lack of belief. If it were real, I want to go to hell and be reunited with him. The real pain is existing here without him.

The very idea of eternal life, or consciousness, was what troubled me. It was one of the root causes of my early rejection of the entire conccept. After even brief consideration, I was completely terrified of it. No matter where I would spend it.

Here's the thing. I don't worry about the hereafter. What will be, will be. I'm way too busy living my life.

Probably the best way to to read uip on religious origins. For instance the religions of hte ancient Greek & Romans originated in Northern Clinates and migrated south. So, their afterlife in Hades was freezing cold. Whereas the Abrahamic religions which started in the Middle East deserts sw the after lkife as Hell, and eternal fire.

The best way to get over the fears religion instilled is to educte yourself as to how the concepts, stories andmyths of feligions originated. Once you know their origins, then you no longer need to fear what htey told you.

I used the example of Hades and Hell above to illistrate how climate and culture sahpes religious beliefs. Once you "know the truth, the truth can set you free." OK, I coudl nto resist puttign that in there. There are soem universal truths contained in all long lastign religions, otherwise people wouldnt' believe in them if there weren't some sparks of truth to them, but most of it, in fact almost all of it, is just made up stories.

I looked at it logically. Taking the view of a parent, (I had to use imagination) I can't accept a creator setting their child on fire forever for falling off their bike.

Yep. He is quite the psychopath.

Is the description of heaven really all that good?
The way I see it, besides the basic "commandments" (ideas that are held by most religions), the things that send you to hell, or that are considered "sinful" are bullshit.

Why would I want to go to heaven when, apparently, most of the enjoyable things in life won't be there, and most of the coolest people who have ever lived won't be there either.

And if you consider what will be there... It doesn't seem that great. Ultra-religious people are weird and make me uncomfortable. They give me the vibe of those cult-like people in the movie Silent Hill... and I'm supposed to want to spend eternity with them??? Religious people are some of the most judgemental and self-righteous people on the planet. Heaven sounds more like a punishment than paradise...

KDzo Level 4 Apr 13, 2018

Focus on the absurdities. The youtube channel Darkmatter2525 really helped me with this. Once it becomes funny, any fear will dissipate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.