Agnostic.com

31 5

How old were you when you had your first realization that your thoughts were private?

Did you feel a sense of relief? These questions are directed at former believers.

VictoriaNotes 9 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Probably young, at Mass, listening to that nonsense about original sin, forgiveness, and salvation, furrowing my brow as I reflected on the glaring logical inconsistencies in the whole scheme--and looking at all the people around me who didn't have similarly furrowed brows, reflecting (with confusion and alarm) on all the people and years and societies and eras that went into building the Catholic Church into what I was seeing...realizing I was immersed in a massive structure that was built on unquestioning acceptance of utter nonsense...and being truly puzzled as to how so many people could be okay with it!

Private information I think it is but some women in my life were always capable to read my thoughts. but I was Never a believer.

You mean like god was not in your head? I can't recall that but I do remember hiding under the bed so he couldnt see me when I was maybe 3 and realizing that wouldnt work either

It's hard to tell. It's not like: "Where were you when you heard about the Twin-Towers". I know that exactly, but starting to realize that the world you live in is your world and that you are able to influence it, growing self-esteem, was a slow puberty process. Not a flash of insight. At least for me.

Gert Level 7 Apr 26, 2018

Hmm... TBH I don't remember. I can tell you, though, about one time where I thought just hearing something was going to doom me. I was somewhere around 11 or 12 and watching Monty Python's Flying Circus, and the episode had a sketch set in a courtroom. The judge was getting increasingly frustrated, and at one point someone reminds him that a witness hasn't yet taken an oath on a Bible. And the judge rolls his eyes and says, "Oh screw the Bible, let's get on with it!"

I immediately started praying that God would forgive me for watching something so blasphemous. (Looking back on it now, I roll my eyes at myself for thinking that way.)

I find it more interest to ask when you realized that your thoughts were NOT private. I used to think my thoughts were private but when I woke up and listen to my body I realized I could hear other people's thoughts. I do realize that our egos and fear of ourselves and our reaction to judgments tends to want to keep us in denial of this, but once we overcome that fear of ourselves then we open up to that experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56822
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.