Agnostic.com

7 2

Where is happiness?

If you found yourself in the mountains on 100 acres of land and 50 miles to the nearest city, would you …

• 11 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 8 votes
AstralSmoke 8 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've just had 2 weeks on holiday by myself, sun, sand and sea - didn't need to mix with anyone else and I "adopted" another single woman for a couple of nights, to show her the ropes on how to handle it after just being widowed after 49 years. For me that has made my year.

“I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books , music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness. And then, on top of all that, you for a mate, and children, perhaps - what more can the heart of a man desire?”

• Leo Tolstoy, Family Happiness

Probably no more children, but I like Tolstoy.

I was raised on a small farm at the base of the Cascades. 5 miles from the nearest town, population 35 -- until my sister was born. I was happy there.

Worked a small gold claim on the Jack Wade Creek in Alaska. Nearest town was 25 miles south, population was 17 - 20 in summer, 6 or fewer in winter. I was happy there.

Worked at a factory in Taiwan. Nearest town, all around me, population a couple million. I was happy there.

Worked in Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Anchorage, New York, Miami, Houston, Galveston, and many more. I was happy there too.

I guess, at least from my perspective, that you take your happy with you.

@AMGT, I don't mind being surrounded as long as I can fight my way out. =) I prefer to be in a place with fewer people and little to no noise, and being alone doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty good self starter, though I admit that I enjoy procrastinating a bit more as age creeps in, so I don't need a boss or motivational speaker hovering over me.

This is a video on happiness. It's just a few minutes long and worth watching.

The link's not working for me.

@ Astral Smoke Go to YouTube and type in "Happiness and Steve Cutts."

Thanks. It's well done, but not about happiness. I guess I was searching for a more 'enlightened' version. (😉)

I have about 90 acres of woodland — plenty to get lost on, or to get lost on adjacent properties — and I like that expanse (despite literally getting lost this summer). As for being far from a city, that's kind of accurate for me, too. The nearest town is much closer, but the closest (small) city is about 35 miles from my woodlot. All in all, I like this area and wouldn't mind eventually building a home on the woodlot.

Options.
I wouldn't need 100 acres, 50 would be more than enough.
50 miles is too far to go if I need supplies, 10 would be better never know when there might be an emergency.

Happiness is within. All you have to do is get your ego out of the way and there it is.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5687
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.