Agnostic.com

7 12

LINK This star is the farthest ever seen. It’s 9 billion light-years away. - The Washington Post

Astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope have found the farthest star ever observed, a bright dot 9 billion light-years away. Forget thanking their lucky stars: This discovery required the fortuitous alignment of a massive galactic cluster. The cluster warped the starlight, bending it toward Earth while magnifying the star 2,000 times.

Officially, the star’s name is MACS J1149+2223 Lensed Star 1. But the astronomers call it Icarus. Icarus was a hundredfold more distant than any other lone star previously detected, according to Patrick L. Kelly, an astrophysicist at the University of Minnesota. Normally only phenomena such as supernovas — catastrophic stellar explosions — or entire galaxies are detectable at such vast distances.

zblaze 7 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just love this NASA and astrophysics shit!!! Keep it coming. I follow it on Tumblr too.

Can't wait till we get a much better understanding of 'dark matter/energy'!!!

Reports this year have pretty much debunked the dark matter/energy theory.

I listen to him every morning.

@zblaze Why thank you!!! I knew all of that but... my reference was for those not as informed..."Can't wait till we get a much better understanding of 'dark...'" I was alluding to these findings because the waters are VERY muddy in physics right now. But I loved the video.

Gravitational lensing has become an amazing tool for astronomers !

have not checked this, but take your word for it, great discovery in the field of astrophysics , another nail in the coffin of those who think that the universe is only 6000 years old.

So most likely no longer exist so why give much of a damn for the dissapeared. Just saying... how can I apply that knowledge in my current situation?

@WizardBill what constructive are you doing with your awe-inspiration? A spacecraft for exploration and charting of the route?

@WizardBill knowledge must have a purpose.

@WizardBill No, I am Ignoring the Useless of your knowledge.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Keep Scrolling then.

@zblaze oh... another star counter.

I heard about this. The star is in a different galaxy than the Milky Way. Normally stars outside of our galaxy cannot be resolved individually, but this star’s image is magnified because of gravitational lensing. Insane.

Hard to wrap my head around the idea of looking back in time almost twice the age of the earth. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.