Agnostic.com

4 18

Comforting to hear your home language.

For a big scholarship, today Dennise and I wrote eight essays by pulling gems from essays we previously created. Then we wrote a new essay.

Dennise learned how she will miss her parents when she goes to college. Dennise's parents and she speak Spanish at home, since her parents don't speak English very well.

Since age seven, Denise has been translating for her parents at doctor's offices, parent-teacher meetings, hospitals, etc. Dennise is fluent in English and Spanish.

Dennise realized it is a relief and comforting to hear Spanish because it is her home language. A good insight. We talked about how important family is to Mexican immigrants like her parents.

"When I married Terry Valdez, his mother expected him to call her when we left and when we arrived in Seattle," I told Dennise. "Then again when we got home. I thought it was nuts. My parents were so blasé, they figured they would hear about it on the news if my plane crashed."

We laughed.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful happy picture of her , Sounds like a fun time doing the essays

Cool

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 16, 2021

Good story.

Such a sweet story

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:569573
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.