Agnostic.com

6 1

I am an ordained minister. I am also an atheist. I have two other titles that I can legally sign marriage licenses with. Does this make me a hypocrite? I don't think it does.

glburns007 3 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am ordained to perform marriages. I personally don't use God in the vows I write for people. Just that they should love each other and carry that love through life with each other. Marriage is a social contract, contrary to what many believe about it. I have never been a preacher or priest of any sort.
I am also ordained as a Jedi Knight and a Time Lord. God is a mythical being just like any other holdover to our past.

everyone is a bit of a hypocrite or a lot of a hypocrite so yes you are but so what?

I was also an ordained minister: cath. priest. I had to leave because I just could not believe any of it anymore. I tried my best to make it work for myself, but had to leave ministry behind. I'm much happier and have moved on. I tried, over the years, to help out friends who needed a marriage "officiant" so I was able to do this. However, I couldn't even bring myself to do that anymore. It's about what you feel you can do and live with yourself. It's about how you want to frame it for yourself? If you can make it work, go for it. What does your moral/ethical compass tell you? Go with that and you'll be fine.

Randy Level 2 Nov 29, 2017

Why are you a minister? Minister of what?

You do have a moral problem if you are a practicing minister. In that case, you would be misrepresenting yourself and your beliefs to others.

Do you pretend to believe in things that you actually don't believe? And do you encourage others to believe those things?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.