Agnostic.com

12 1

Anyone married to a person that doesn’t share your religious views? I did and it can be quite an issue...

Thatguyy 4 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My wife of 19 years... now ex wife of 19 years still when we talk over the phone she is still tells me "god bless you". I don't feel offended or fight back about it... been in a pseudo Romantic On and OFF.. more OFF than ON now with a xtian scientist since 2002... that is 17 years and we don't discuss religion... I had been to her church and my skin did not got a rash... been to activities of her church were I may had been the "least believer" by a landslide and was never an issue and never felt recruited to join their believes. Maybe is my make up... I don't carry atheist in a nametag... I don't fight religion... I am not at war with god or gods. And I had learn to bite my tongue when felt the inclination to chew someone out. I simply let it go and walk away...

52 years ago I married an Irish Catholic woman, and at the time I was following the Jewish religion. We had 2 kids both boys, we let them decide for themselves as they got older, what if any religion they wanted to follow. One of the boys wanted to become a priest, but unfortunate for him he is bi-polar and it didnt work out, the other at one time wanted to follow the Jewish side of the family, but as today, he not into any religion, and is doing his own thing. As for us my wife and I respect each other in our beliefs, their are crosses all over the house, and lots of angels. I love her and I have never tried to influence her in any way, same goes for politics. She told me she married me because I am not controlling, possessive, or jealous. I guess it works, we will be married this May 52 years, and I love her more today then when we got married.

Yes, wife is devout xtian. It was a topic of discussion particularly around what we would do if we had kids. She was pretty insistent that they be raised in church. I think there is a wealth of social opportunities in church. I just demanded that I have equal time. We have 18 year old triplets. 2b 1g. My oldest son is an evangelical, fundamentalist ATHIEST. You know the kind, all knowing and feels the need to convert believers to atheism for their own good. He's read all the big thinkers and the little ones. My second son is a foxhole Christian. He starts believing as soon as he realizes he's busted. My baby girl is agnostic. She gooes to church with my wife, but that's because she likes to take care if the toddlers who aren't old enough to accept Christ.

Me atheist, she secretely agnostic and loyal to very religious parents. No problems as long as we remember to respect each other.

It can be for some people and others not so much. For instance, Gene Wilder (a Jew) married Karen Boyer (a Mormon) and remained married until his death.

I never knew he was a Jew??? Hm...

@Thatguyy His birth name was Gerome "Jerry" Silberman

Both my exes were believers, and exactly knew my stance on the subject. It was never an issue.

Seems like any differences can be made into issues - if people choose to magnify them and make them so.

It wasn't for the first few years. Then he began going to church and expected our kids and I to go with him. That became an issue. It wasn't the reason for our divorce, but it didn't help.

I was married to a man who had been in a monastery about to become a priest (long before I’d met him). When we got together, my beliefs hadn’t solidified. We are still dear friends, but it definitely played a role in our divorce. Neither of us felt free to be who we really are. Down deep he wanted someone to attend church with and hoped I’d come back around. Now that he’s on his own, he’s back to pursuing the priesthood. I can understand his nature to want to help others because, as a teacher, I have the same tendencies, but I’ll never align with his line of thinking. It is an issue that I won’t overlook in any future relationship.

I am, and it is not an issue. We each simply respect each other's right to believe as we choose.

I haven't, but as a single gal, I steer clear of people who don't share my views. I would have a hard time taking them seriously.

Never an issue for all 19 years of marriage. Even now at the end of phone conversations she may volunteer a "god bless you". To no problem from my part.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:56981
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.