Agnostic.com

19 3

What do you think of the Divine Command Theory?

I just learned about this too. What are your thoughts on this subject? I want to hear from you guys.

Sarahroo29 8 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven’t heard about divine commandment theory or it’s origins,is it based on fairy tales as divine means is faith?

Gargy Level 3 Apr 17, 2018

YouTube has a video from Philosophy Crash Course on the subject. Or Google it? I'm unsure about the word divine in it.

From what I can understand of it, morally vile
The Augustinian version immediately opens the door to paedophillia, as if you love God then logically, by this theory, anything you love must be correct. The rest are as bad in one way or another.

You're right.

Are you referring to Augustine the Roman emperor ?youve probably moved on from your comment,I apologise for delayed response,life seems to distract ones yearning to learn

Who has been commanded by God anyway? Moses? Bible writers? It's all man's word. With no proof of a God, how can there be divine command?

There can't be.

Morality is determined by a god who does not exist. That makes sense.

JimG Level 8 Apr 14, 2018

Right?

I need to google that

Cool.

I didn't even know about the Divine Command Theory until now. The one thing I always remember is that all of these books, rules, command, etc. were written by MAN.

Yep.

I find it one of the most frustratingly idiotic rationales that apologists use to argue their position. The most frustrating aspect is that they try to argue that without the Bible atheists would have no frame of reference for determining an action as good or evil, and that we are borrowing their terminology since we believe life just random protoplasm in motion. A well known apologist, when asked whether he would kill a child of his own if commanded by God, after beating around the bush, finally admitted he would. Here is Hitchen's fabulous comment on the matter:

@Sarahroo29 I edited my response to include some additional commentary.

Cool.

I don't.

Ludo Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

Okay.

It's BS.

Yep.

Don't know much about it

I learned a little about it.

If I remember correctly, there was a time "God" was ok with human sacrifice. I'm just saying,...

The 10 Commandments say not to kill. So idk?

Sarahroo29, that just means even he doesn't know what he wants

Hah! Bullshit is as bullshit commands.
DCT isn't tenable.

Yes, I agree.

What is that? Mary in combat boots?

Lol. No it's about god and philosophy.

The CrashCourse Philosophy video series does a good episode on it; I assign it to my Phil 100 classes every semester:

In short... it is really lame, lame, lame. Many fundamentalists love it though (Quelle surprise!), because it allows them to justify any/all of their (highly edited and selected) questionable beliefs.

This is what I just watched. Thanks.

Was going to bring up the Euthyphro problem as my response...the video does a much better job explaining things. Thanks for posting.

@RPardoe Yep. I watched this and posted about it.

Divine command theory (also known as theological voluntarism) is a meta-ethical theory which proposes that an action's status as morally good is equivalent to whether it is commanded by God.

Considering all the death and destruction commanded by "god" in the Old Testament, I cant' buy into the idea at all. Whatever "god" has commanded, was really the desires of men a very long time ago.

I can't buy into it because there is no evidence, facts or data to suggest that god(s) even exit, therefor, no god(s), no divine anything.

@jlynn37 Yep, I agree.

More excusatory behavior from the religious. I'm right because God. It is not logical, provable or applicable in any way with actual reality.

You're right.

Completely bass-ackwards like everything else in the Abrahamic faiths. Things aren't right because god commands it, because god could always command something harmful. Things are right because they don't cause harm and, preferably, they bring about benefits.

Yes, you're right.

But I don't think of the Divine Command Theory

Okay, cool.

Nothing is divine!

JK666 Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

Yep.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57596
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.