Agnostic.com

2 0

Do Streaming Algorithms Devalue Cinema into 'Content' ?

Il Maestro
By Martin Scorsese
Federico Fellini and the lost magic of cinema

[harpers.org]

[bbc.com]

FearlessFly 9 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First of all, an advertisement doesn't force anyone to watch a movie or TV series. If its a movie or TV show that I have no interest in or won't enjoy then no amount of advertising is going to change this. Why would I even want to see advertisements for things that don't interest me whatsoever?

Secondly, I'd bet money that if people half a century ago or more had access to the big budget sci-fi and fantasy movies of today they'd eat it up and be packing the theaters to see them just as many do today.

I watch movies and TV to be entertained. I have zero interest in a slow moving drama about sad clowns or people having existential crises. I want to laugh and be amazed and have fun.

Since 1977, with only a few exceptions, the highest grossing movies year after year have mostly been big budget sci fi and fantasy movies: Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, The Lord of the Rings, Avengers, etc.

Maybe it's just that people's tastes have changed and the options for entertainment have changed. And the movies made today simply could not have been made 50 years ago.

If you don't want to watch something then don't. But I see no point in villainizing modern movies ant TV. Sure there's a lot of garbage out there, but I'd bet that there was plenty of garbage movies 50 years ago too. And in 50 years today's garbage will be forgotten just as the garbage of 50 years ago has been forgotten and only the best movies are remembered.

Hollywood is not the only place that movies are made . . .

Most of the stuff coming out of Hollywood feels like rebooted themes that have been re-written to be more politically correct or to make China happy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:577905
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.