Agnostic.com

3 11

“For myself,” Campbell writes, “I believe that we owe both the imagery and the poetical insights of myth to the genius of the tender-minded; to the tough-minded only their reduction to religion.”

[agnostic.com]

skado 9 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are monomyths two a penny?

Don't bliss out, follow your myth.

Joe’s work has had a huge impact on my thinking, along with Mircea Eliade, especially his magnum opus, his four-volume “Masks of God.” The last volume, “Creative Mythology,” removes myth from the realm of religion and again places it in the world of the Arts - literary, visual, performing and others forms. He ends by charging us moderns with creating our own mythologies that help explain and illustrate our own individual and collective experiences.

Same here! The Masks of God, and especially volume 4. A central influence in my life.

@skado I’ve been creating and teaching critical thinking trainings recently, and his observation that most people see the world through a mythological lens is kind of a baseline idea I can start with. He was such a wonderful thinker!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578258
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.