Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Southern Baptists Can’t Escape Politics When Their Bigotry Influences Policy | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Southern Baptist Convention President J.D. Greear (below) issued an important statement to his constituents on Monday: “God did not call on Southern Baptists to save America.”

While that sounds less than inspirational, that was actually meant as a warning shot to conservatives in his who believe they must defend the Republican Party at all , no matter what violence they cause or corruption they promote or lies they spread.

Greear implored them to choose faith over politics: (not likely)

snytiger6 9 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bigotry of the Southern Baptist Convention goes all the way back to the 1840s when it broke away from the larger American Baptist church to built support of slavery as a main tenet of its ideology. It is one of the key actors in co-mingling politics and religion.

I have to admit i was a Southern Baptist

I believed Gays would go to hell. I believed women that had abortions would go to hell. I believed in white supremacy even though i really didn't realize it at the time.I didn't respect anyone else's opinion except christianity and believed if other races and faiths had bad things happen then it was because god was punishing them.

BUT I know renounce those beliefs. My daughter is bisexual and it doesn't bother me. It's none of my business what a Woman does with her body. Everyone else religion or culture is just as valid as christianity. Christianity has a talking donkey and virgin birth so that's pretty unbelievable. Bad things happen to everyone and i should feel compassion instead of judging

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:578630
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.