Agnostic.com

4 6

Annnd here yah go... 😂

Captain_Feelgood 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some Dr. Seuss books with racist imagery will go out of print.

Racism is one of the worst forms of ignorance.

I think racism is more stupidity than ignorance.. (yes, there's a difference) Ignorance is not knowing about something... Stupidity here takes a questionable decision with a knowledge of what you are printing.. totally acceptable back then, but now found offensive.. For the author to take it off the market is fine.. It's their product, s/he can do what they want with it.. I find it ridiculous for people to get offended by something like this so many years later.. You have a right to be offended..

@Captain_Feelgood It is not so much about taking offense because the racist content has been known for some time now. It is about change, getting rid of systemic racism, and trying to move forward as a nation. Childish hate should have no place.

Like religion, racism is one of the worst forms of ignorance. It is based on BELIEFS stemming from hate and exaggeration, and is rooted in fear and insecurity.

@nogod4me Racism goes both ways. It's not about ignorance. People know racism is not a good thing. I'm not saying the racist stuff he drew should be okay with everybody because he drew it long ago. I'm saying people need to put it in perspective..

@Captain_Feelgood

Dr. Seuss, many Americans learned this week, has been canceled. Headlines and chyrons on conservative websites and cable-TV shows agree: Cancel culture has really gone too far this time. Silencing the beloved, whimsical voice behind “Green Eggs and Ham” and “The Cat in the Hat”? Unconscionable.

Dr. Seuss, the pen name of Theodor Geisel, has been sanctified as something of a children’s lit deity in American culture. His books have been lauded for instilling kids with good values: self-esteem, open-mindedness, kindness and acceptance, environmentalism. Geisel also wrote and illustrated work for both children and adults that contained grotesquely racist imagery and ideas. Much of this work appeared early in his career, when he worked as a political cartoonist as well as a children’s author.

The furor over Dr. Seuss comes amid a dizzying rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, fueled by the racist and xenophobic response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Somehow, the debate has turned to the threat posed to our children by removing certain Seuss classics from the shelf when the dangers of leaving them should be much more terrifying. It’s the Black child who leafs through a book in their school library and stumbles across a lurid, demeaning cartoon of an African man. It’s the white child who absorbs racist images wrapped up in playful verse and primary-color illustrations and subconsciously takes note that it’s OK to treat people of other races as punchlines.

Dr. Seuss has not been deleted from bookstores or the public consciousness. The vast majority of his work will continue to be published, including those upon which his reputation as an inspiring and humane influence on children rests. Cancel culture is a tool for evading the real, tough argument the anti-canceling partisans would otherwise need to make here: not “Why is such a beloved and wise children’s book author being senselessly canceled?” but “Why should we continue publishing, and marketing to innocent kids, six specific books containing vile racist depictions?” It’s a much more difficult case to make.

[huffpost.com]

@Captain_Feelgood Saying that racists are just stupid gives them a way out. As you said: "People know racism is not a good thing." They are being willfully ignorant, racism is belief, just like religion, they will delude themselves in order to sustain those beliefs.

They deceive themselves into thinking that just because they know something is "not a good thing," that they are not practicing it.

"The fanatical believer is not conscious of his envy, malice, pettiness and dishonesty. There is a wall of words between his consciousness and his real self. We lie loudest when we lie to ourselves." - Eric Hoffer - Author of The True Believer

@nogod4me Mmmm,,, yeah,, Hoffer also didn't think you should help your neighbor/friend that was being attacked by a mutual enemy. You can rant and quote all you want, I don't think we are going to agree on some issues here, and that's okay with me.. HAGD.

@Captain_Feelgood If you think there is no way to justify racism, then we agree.

Poetry sucked until I saw that.
That’s beautiful.

When Dr. Seuss, monopoly board game, Aunt Jemima and others are offensive, it's the people calling this stuff offensive that actually have real problems.

My sentiments exactly! 🤪🤣😂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:579963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.