Agnostic.com

2 7

Yes. It was racist and good on the family for pulling it.

BufftonBeotch 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good

Deny the past and it didn't happen? The only people who think Huckleberry Finn was racist are those too stupid to understand it. You can't stop racism by acting as if it never existed!

That is not Huck Finn.

At the end of Huck Finn the title character believes he is going to go to Hell for not turning in his friend to the slave hunters and chooses Hell.

Huck Finn is probably the first Anti-racist book ever written.

The above illustration, and others, depict things such as Asians with slits for eyes and are completely inappropriate for children.

The 6 titles in question are not banned. The family has decided to no longer sell them.

I am sure they are not going to be pulled from libraries, though they might be moved to the adult section.

And I am sure they will be available on E-bay, where I am also sure people are paying well over market value.

How are you pretending racism never existed by deciding that you will stop being racist? These are two different things.

So. What would you say to a black child who asked "Is that supposed to be Me?"

@Apunzelle I allowed my children to watch "Birth of a Nation" they were early teen range and I had prepared them intensely for what they were about to see.
It gave them a window into the mindset of the average (white) American at that time.

@BufftonBeotch Exactly what you did when they watched "Birth of a Nation." Say, "Unfortunately, yes. Some people aren't capable of understanding that humans are all different in many ways, so they pick out the most obvious and shallow and often hurtful ways to depict them. I hope, when you get older, you'll remember how this made you feel, and not make the same mistake."

@1BrentMichael It is not being banned. But no parent should turn a page and see a racist image like that with a very young child in their lap and be left bereft of what to say.

"Daddy? Is that supposed to be us?"

All of Seuss works will still be available for those that want to see them.

Google "Quick, Henry! The Flit!"

And my kids were older and solidly prepared. Not six and having this thrust in their face at a group story time by someone who finds the picture oh so amusing.

@BufftonBeotch If they're "bereft of what to say," maybe they shouldn't be parents? Yes, I realize that applies to most who are, but I'm still not a fan of hiding reality from children at any age. And if they don't want them to read Dr. Seuss, how can they justify letting them read bible stories?

@BufftonBeotch

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:580637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.