Agnostic.com

7 16

Forgot the sugar. Saved the muffins mid-bake with a turkey baster.

Yesterday I made healthy Banana Nut muffins. Mid-baking, I realized my mistake.

Yanked the muffins out of the oven. Thought a minute. Melted honey in the microwave. Using a turkey baster, I squirted a little hot honey into the center of each muffin. Since honey is sweeter than su-gar, I used half as much honey.

"Honey adds liquid," I thought. So I baked the muffins three minutes longer. Delicious. The muffin sides are lightly sweetened by bananas. The center of each muffin has a surprise hit of honey that adds moisture.

"You artificially inseminated muffins!" my boyfriend Bill joked.

NOTE: Since this website deletes numbers and random words in posts, I spelled out numbers and hyphenated "su-gar." A perpetual, unfixed bug.

A Better Banana Bread

From Cooking Light Magazine

Makes a dozen great muffins. Bake muffins at three hundred seventy-five degrees for about twenty-two minutes.

Use very ripe bananas with lots of brown speckles. As bananas ripen, they become sweeter. Using ripe bananas improves the flavor and tenderness of the bread.

One cup very ripe banana (about three small)
Half cup su-gar
One cup plain nonfat yogurt
Quarter-cup butter, melted
One teaspoon pure vanilla extract
One egg
One egg white
One cup all-purpose flour
One cup whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
One teaspoon baking powder
Half-teaspoon baking soda
Quarter-teaspoon salt
Quarter-cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
Quarter-teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
Baking spray with flour

Preheat oven to three hundred fifty degrees.

Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well-blended. Combine flour and next three ingredients; stir in pecans. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter into an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 3-inch bread pan coated with baking spray with flour. For muffins, spoon batter into muffin pan coated with baking spray with flour.

For banana bread, bake for one hour and five minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool ten minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: fourteen servings (serving size: one slice).

Calories: one hundred fifty-eight.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@vegan66

As a beginner bread baker, I made a few bricks, too. Get "Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book" and "The Tassajara Bread Book" cookbooks.

After baking bread for 35 years, I learned:

1. Add water with your hands to the dough until it holds together enough for kneading. Flour is drier depending on: how long it's been stored; time elapsed since milling; and storage temperature.

Today I'm making Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread with cooked oatmeal. I added nearly a cup of water to the dough because I used the last of a 5 lb. bag of whole wheat bread flour. It had been stored in the refrigerator for a long time.

1. Store whole grains in the refrigerator or they will ferment and go bad.

2. I use 65% whole wheat bread flour and 35% unbleached white bread flour. With 100% whole wheat, the bread doesn't rise well.

3. While kneading, the dough absorbs moisture from cooked oatmeal slowly.

4. With practice, you will get a sense of how bread dough should feel.

Thank you .

Another yummy recipe from you mmmmmm

Wow you really seem to enjoy your cooking, meal preparation!!

@CuddyCruiser

Since age 24, I have not eaten fast food, nor processed and preserved meats. Nothing deep fried. Never drank soda pop. Don't drink alcohol and never smoked.

Over the years, I became a better cook. I bake whole wheat bread. It tastes better and is healthier.

Processed food tastes vile to me due to the chemicals. My taste has become more refined.

@LiterateHiker I eat a lot of organic food myself. I also take several supplements such as Spirulina, Salmon Oil, A Natures Way whole food supplement, fiber and Vitamin E.

I also avoid all Carbonated beverages, including Seltzer and Club Soda. And am also a non smoker and non drinker, though I was both of them 28 years ago. Processed meats have a certain chemical in it which causes 11 or 12 year old girls to look like 21 and 22. I also Fast 4 times a year, once during December during vacation time for 3 days. Then during the Summer 2 times for 3 days during vacation weeks. If you never tried fasting I highly encourage you to try it.......it does require some willpower though. But the benefits are awesome. I also do a 2 day weekend fast during October.

@CuddyCruiser

At 5' 5" tall, I weigh 112 lbs. Good grief, if I fasted I'd vanish.

Stick out my tongue and turn sideways, I'd look like a zipper.

Food is fuel.

@LiterateHiker True on that food is fuel. Practically all processed foods nowadays is devoid of any nutritional value.

@LiterateHiker May you be so kind to share your whole wheat bread recipes . When I bake it, it usually comes out hard .

@vegan66

"Kneading is the secret of truly splendid bread, so keep going until the dough is silky smooth. Halfway through kneading you can gently tug and pull out the dough flabby-thin. The surface will be plenty rough with little craters all over; the dough will tear easily.

If you stop kneading now, your bread will rise a little, but not as much. Continue kneading. When the dough is fully developed, it will pull into a paper-thin sheet, smooth and bright. When you hold it to the light, you can see the webbing of the gluten strands in the sheet." (Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book.)

When kneading, I aim for 500 to 550 pushes. Towards the end of the kneading period (after 400 pushes), I knead in tiny chips of cold butter. French bakers smear cold butter on the kneading surface. The result is a noticeably higher rise.

@LiterateHiker Thank you very much . I am coing to save it ,so I can remember all the steps .

@LiterateHiker I want some .

I once forgot the cornmeal in my cornbread. Talk about feeling stupid.

Stop it PLEASE you're making my mouth water.
They look very very tasty btw.

How ingenious!

dkp93 Level 8 Mar 10, 2021

@dkp93

Thanks. I took a page from my friend Sally years ago.

She forgot the butter in the muffins she was baking. Using a turkey baster, Sally squirted melted butter into the center of each muffin. They were delicious.

Never forgot it.

Well that was some pretty savvy problem solving!

@KKGator

Thanks, dear.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:581398
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.