Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Tennessee state senator votes against removing slavery from state’s constitution

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Tennessee is one step closer to abolishing slavery, which is still allowed in the state constitution.

State Sen. Raumesh Akbari, D-Memphis, sponsored the to prohibit slavery under all circumstances.

State Sen. Brian Kelsey, R-Germantown, was one of four Republican senators who voted against removing the article from the constitution, which allows slavery and involuntary servitude as punishment for people convicted of a crime.

snytiger6 9 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 17, 2021

What is a good idea? Abolishing indentured servitude or allowing it?

@barjoe I just commented on the headline. It's actually more subtle than that when you look at guys who are in prison. I'm in favor of having them work and paying them a small wage for their work. I'm not sure whether they should be required to work. They should probably just be given incentives to work, but allowed to stay in their cell 23 hours per day if they don't want to work.

@BD66 This law was pertaining to chain gangs.

@barjoe I think the law was pertaining to all forced labor for prisoners. I am against the slave status for prisoners.

Privatized prisons have turned the exception for using prisoners as slave labor into very profitable ventures, and it has resulted in more imprisonment and longer sentences to increase profits. It's just wrong to fill prisons so corporatios can make more money.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:582770
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.