Agnostic.com

22 4

You meet someone, and you like them. Then you find out they believe in God and it’s important to them. Do you still try for a romantic relationship?

JohnGlass 6 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. As soon as I find out, I’m purged of attraction and respect. Is that horrible? It just turns the f off. And how can you give yourself to a relationship in which you view your partners beliefs with contemp? I hope I’m explaining well. I sometimes feel that this response might be bad? Or is it just my anxiety? Cause you know, that lies to you.

Most of my relationships have been with "Christian" women. I just have not met a lot of non-believers, at least ones that admit it. Most of the women think they can change me I think, show me God lol. It never works out.

Good, open, trusting relationships should change us . . . for the better. Change is constant and when we don't change we stagnant. Conversely, we should also affect change in our partners . . . again to help them change for the better. It's all about growth, effective communication, and mutual respect.

Lol.

"and it’s important to them." That may be a deal breaker, depending on how important.

sGURU --- When I was young that was the whole point. Talking about God never came up.

Only a few things matter. A key essential is that your personalities match to the degree that you both are able to derive pleasure and fulfillment from the relationship. Another is that you both emotionally mature enough to establish and sustain a caring, sharing relationship. Yet another is that you share many core beliefs and values outside of religion.

Before my 2nd wife and I married, she was aware that I am at least an agnostic, and I that she is a devout Catholic. We both agreed to respect each other's religious beliefs, or lack thereof. We have been happily married for 23 years.

No. And... Hell no! 😛

Maybe - if they can just do their thing without expecting me to be part of it !

Though if I were to choose a clone without a religious bent would be preferred.

In my experience it doesn't work. At least one of you has to compromise on your core beliefs. It may work for a while, but not long term.

Depending on the level of commitment or fanaticism. Does he/she go to church every week? Do they tithe? Do they preach constantly and at the same time is he/she a hypocrite? If a JW, then NO, for sure, absolutely, and no fucking way. They are annoying and they don't celebrate anything. Mormons? I doubt it. Hari Krishnas? No. No cults, that's for sure. Nothing like Agape or Transcendental Meditation (cults). Though I do meditate.

The more important issues for me would be diet and politics. I couldn't date a conservative and I could not date a meat eater.

I was involved with a believer for over 30 years and got along great the entire time. When she said she'd like to go to church, I'd tell her I'd take her...and stay for the entire service. Then she would say, "Never mind." Same when she reads the bible, I bring out the inconsistencies in the book. We did have a great relationship. But she was a good christian, had three children, all by different men. Like I always say, to each his own. One final thing...she never imposed her beliefs on me, nor me neither.

No. If they really believe, they will be convinced they can convert me at some point, which just pisses me off. If they are simply going with the flow and have never examined their beliefs, then I can't respect them intellectually which is going to piss them off (at least I'd hope it would).

no, i insist on being the most important one in my partner's life, as they are in mine

turf Level 5 Dec 2, 2017

Depends on the details. They would have to embrace diversity of belief as something valuable, respect me in my place, etc. I know that's possible (i.e., me a decade ago), but it isn't common. Their character is more important than their faith.

If I like them, they are "secular" in their behavior, so I am fine with that. My best friend at advanced training(AIT) for the Army was a pastor. We'd talk about Jesus and how he couldn't prove that I wasn't Jesus and accepted that the story of Jesus just follows a standard heroes arc. It was such enriching and wonderful conversation. We'd talk about passages from the bible and other religions. It was truly wonderful. I would have absolutely no problem with that in a romantic relationship as well, but it is very rare and very hard to find.

That would depend on how accepting they are of your belief, or not, and how fanatic they are.. and visa versa....

It has become a real problem especially when one takes into account the other commonalities one needs for a meaningful relationship.

No, if someone lies to themselves in reference to reality, it isn't going to take much for them to lie to you.

A romantic relationship? No- that's not going much of anywhere. If it's just for a hookup, maybe (hypothetically speaking).

If it's important to them, they will be searching for mates who are of their own religion.

Nope

No. Gave it a try a couple times after I was divorced. Needed similar core values. After that, started looking for non religious women. Found a fine Atheist woman. Quite happy.

Good for you.

As long as they respect your views, why not?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.