Agnostic.com

4 19

In 1962, Sylvia Plath stopped going to church in England when the local rector gave "a ghastly H-Bomb sermon" about how the parishioners would ascend to heaven in the event of a nuclear explosion unlike the "pacifists and humanists and educated pagans who would fear being incinerated. She said, "I felt it was a sin to support such insanity even by my presence"

From Red Comet, biography of Plath

Healthydoc70 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would drop such a bomb be dropped?

It was the height of the cold war we all lived with the fear that in three minutes we could be dead.

@LenHazell53 We had bomb drills in elementary school in New York where we would crouch under a school bench and cover our head with our hands.

What a great scene to open a bizarre satire movie. This site could be found gold for screen writers.

It has been and is 😉

Ascend to heaven my ass. They would be blown to heaven or just disintegrated.

Going on the greasy outlines left at Hiroshima am thinking probably the latter.

[ststworld.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585562
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.