Agnostic.com

2 6

LINK Conservatives frustrated by popularity of Dems' voting-rights bill

The 2022 midterm elections are still more than 20 months away, so it seems awfully early for the National Republican Senatorial Committee to launch a seven-figure ad campaign. But the NRSC did exactly that last week, making an expensive ad buy for an unexpected reason.

The committee, which exists to elect Republican Senate candidates, launched ads specifically in the hopes of making the Democrats' "For the People Act" less popular.

The Republicans' ad campaign is emblematic of a larger truth: the Democratic legislation, intended to strengthen voting rights and bolster the nation's democracy, poses a political challenge for the right because it's made up of provisions the American mainstream is bound to support.

snytiger6 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One person one vote, by mail-in or in person. The day declared a Federal Holiday, to emphasize how important it is, & so nobody has to use vacation time or worse, lose money. Voter's ID accepted the day of voting, with of course bi-partisan volunteers checking each other. No recounts unless slim, clearly defined margins and/or demonstrable fraud. Loser Required to give concession speech within 48 hours!! (Or face stiff monetary fines per hour for any delays) No gerrymandering, and a wide variety of ID accepted....the same in all states.
No Electoral College and/ or redistribution of its'"weight"...a gal can dream......

perfect
and ID can be a bill addressed to your hovel or a state id
speaking for me ...going to get a new id would be a hardship

@whiskywoman Connecticut accepts a wide range of ID's,on the day, such as mail addressed to you,credit cards with your name, SS card,, a property tax bill (even for a car) and etc...it's no biggie,your name gets crossed off a master list by address, bi-partisan oversight, of course.
"Hovel"? lol!

@AnneWimsey I don't think voter IDs shoudl be required at all. I had to perove who I was when I registered at the DMV where they make the IDs

Voter ID laws are designed to prevent people from voting. As an example in North Dakota, the law required an ID with a street address, which eliminated most Native Americans who lived on reservations which did not have street addresses, but who used P.O. Boxes. After the law went into effect the congressional district with the reservations flipped form democrat to republican, which is exactly what republicans designed the law to do.

In Georgia, they outlawed voting on Sunday, because Blacks would hire buses to take them directly form church to the polls. They now also require two IDs for voting, because one ID requirement didn't prevent democrats from winning in 2020.

@snytiger6 i think you need Something,if only a SNAP card...... what would happento a legitimate voter if I purloined their address by merely standing in their street? I could goto 10 polling places with an appropriate address it's not "first come, first served", it needs to be "one person one vote"

While maintaining voting rights is important, in my mind it's not going to make much difference if in two or four years we are still left with only two corrupt major parties (neither or which care about anyone lower than the top 15% of the class structure or income groups) and no viable third party to vote for at the federal level. In that situation, it comes down to merely have a choice between the two pre-selected millionaires, or stooges for the very rich, you get to choose to oppress you. Either way, you get shit and still end up being oppressed.

not exactly

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.