Agnostic.com

1 4

" I'm scared," says a little voice over my phone late yesterday afternoon, " I don't want to be a Mummy, I don't want to have a baby, I'm only 7, she shouldn't have done it."
Of course I recognised the voice, it was Henry, my nephew speaking.
So, I asked what was troubling him, what had happened?
I got this in reply, " Lara kissed me, she kissed me and now I'm going to have a baby because that's how babies are made."
Trying my hardest to stifle laughing my head off I asked this scared little voice, " Who told you'd be having a baby because Lara kissed Mate?"
"The boys in my Class told me, that's who," came a tearful reply.
"Well," I answered, "those boys are wrong, Mate, they're very, very wrong you can't be having a baby because you are a boy NOT a girl, Lara can't be having a baby either because she is not a woman, only grown up women can have babies and being kissed doesn't make you pregnant, have you spoken to Mum and Dad about this at all?"
"No, " says the little voice, "I didn't want to scare them, I wanted to talk to you because you are older than them so you must know about these things, that's why."
I asked him where his Mum and Dad were and was told that they were having coffee on the back veranda, then said to him, " Well, you know I'm always here for you anytime you need to ask me something or want my help don't you, I'm so glad that you rang me, do you feel better now, Mate."
"Yes, " came the usual cheerful voice, " But what if Lara kisses me again."
"Did like it when she kissed you?" I asked.
" It was kinda nice, sorta."
"Well, if she kisses you again, don't be scared, just smile and tell her thank you."
I held off until I was certain that he'd be in bed and asleep, then rang Matt and Naomi to let them know about it all.
Naomi said to Matt, " I think we need to start talking with Henry about Girls and Boys, etc, don't you, he seems to be growing up quicker than we thought."

Triphid 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find it odd at his age that he didn't know boys don't have babies. Kids know these things before they even start school.....here anyway.

Yes, me also since I taught Lorrae about such things from as soon as she started asking.
She was about 5 when I overheard her telling a friend that "babies come out of their mummies stomach and NOT because a Stork brings them."

@Triphid Exactly. As far as I know, they get curious long before starting school, & I never told any ''stork'' stories to my kids.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:585952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.