Agnostic.com

1 6

The Christian Right Shouldn't be Shocked by Lil Nas X’s New Video

Lap dancing with the devil is really just the logical next step for the “ Town Road” rapper.

He made a funny, wildly creative and must-see video. It's hilarious! I love Lil Nas X as Marie Antionette punishing himself. Those wigs! Priceless. Then he gets hit in the head with a butt plug, dies and pole dances into hell. Haha!

Click on the Slate link to see his new video.

BY RACHELLE HAMPTON AND MADISON MALONE KIRCHER

On Friday, Lil Nas X released the music video for his new single “Montero (Call Me by Your Name),” in which he rides a stripper pole down to hell and twerks for Lucifer, triggering a satanic panic rarely seen in America since its colonial days. But as scandalized as the Christian right may be, there’s really nothing surprising about this turn from the 21 rapper.

On Wednesday’s episode of ICYMI, Slate’s new podcast about internet culture, hosts Rachelle Hampton and Madison Malone Kircher explained why none of this is all that shocking if you know anything about the “ Town Road” rapper’s internet origin story.

My favorite excerpt:

Kircher: Didn’t Lil Nas X’s father say something about the video?

Hampton: Yeah, Lil Nas X’s father texted him, “A very creative video. I got through it. Congratulations. Live life on your terms. Very proud of you,” with the appropriate amount of emojis that you expect a dad to send.

Kircher: That’s the thing that I find really impressive about what he’s done with this video. So it’s incredibly raunchy and very fun, and it could just be an entertaining piece of art for those reasons alone, but it’s more personal and it’s actually very poignant. Lil Nas X’s real name is Montero. So the song is named after him, this world he’s built is named after him.

And he posted this note on Instagram when he released the song, and it’s a short letter to his fourteen self:

“Dear year Montero, I wrote a song with our name in it. It’s about a guy I met last summer. I know we promised to never come out publicly … I know we promised to die with the secret, but this will open doors for many other queer people to simply exist.”

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not as if he has no reason to trash Christianity! I don't have any of his music but am starting to become a bit of a fan, lol.

@MikeInBatonRouge

Watching this video turned me into a big fan. I've watched it four times, laughing harder each time.

This video is about a lover he once had. Hoo boy!

Lil Nas X made the video for his fourteen-year-old self who swore he would hide being queer for the rest of his life. And to encourage other gay boys and girls to be themselves.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:586288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.