Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK We Can’t Afford to Live Anymore, and The Rich Are Gaslighting Us It’s doing serious damage.

"A few years ago, one of my friends confessed something over coffee. She leaned forward. Her voice fell to a hush: “I love my kids, but from a financial standpoint, I regret having them.”
My friend is a tenured professor. She’s published books with major presses, including Oxford. People beg her to speak at conferences.

Despite all this, her family is barely getting by. (Her husband is also a highly-regarded professor in engineering.) When she was done talking, her face glowed with shame.

It’s a common story these days."

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always knew I would be too poor to afford kids, plus my parents were terrible role models for me about parenting, so I am childless by choice and never have regretted it, even tho when I was young it cost me any chance for LTRs in the dating game. Even with all that, I still was never financially secure until I was 59 years old, three years ago, when I inherited enough money to retire and could begin receiving SS Survivor's benefits at age 60. Until then, my whole adult life was living paycheck to paycheck and being poor.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:586715
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.