Agnostic.com

1 4

LINK Alan Watts - Jesus, His Religion - YouTube

Alan (he and I were buds) covers quite a lot of ground in this very good lecture. Thoughts?

rainmanjr 8 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Right. He does cover a lot, and it is thought-provoking. What sticks out for me (after a night's sleep with whichcto forget most) is the notion of just how far the church has defined what it wanted its main message to be, distinctly and apart from what it may have originally been. The Jesus figure, if in actuality he existed historically(which Watts seems to accept as a given), certainly seems to have been radically redefined by church officials with political aims of their own. The idea that the original guru's message may have been essentially the same as the Buddha's is interesting to me, that we are, all of us, equally, "children of the divine." For this Heathen, of course, it is still a quaint notion of magical thinking, but still much more thoughtful than the heavy judgmental oppressive shit the church has peddled for two millenia.

"...and everyone is forcing their way into it."

i mean he did choose fishermen as disciples, and saved his best praise for "atheists" (samaritans) and "pagans" (roman centurions) eh

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:587192
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.