Agnostic.com

4 0

Can evil be good, or good be evil?

If evil is good at messing up goodness, wouldn't evil then have some form of being good? Its good at being evil(bad). So if evil is good at being evil then its not 100% evil?

Word 8 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good and evil are absolutes. And like the vast majority of absolutes, they do not exist, ( Or at least not absolutely. This being a nuance.) when people talk about an absolute, they are saying. "I do not accept nuance or qualification in this mater."

But accepting nuance and qualification are the roots of wisdom, since it is only when we let them in, that we can begin to learn, move forward, or see the other view.

Does quality exist? Good is an indicator for meaning something has a minimum quality for usefulness. "It is good enough ". So, I think ability to assign a measure of quality to something does exist. Yes. What is good enough for you may not be good enough for me. So, there are things that can be considered relative to the point of the observer as to somethings goodness or not: (evil).

@Word Then that is a nuanced use of evil, which is fine.

Evil or bad might be good to one person and not so much to another. Depending on what that "evil/bad" thing is and to what degree. Maybe it was bad but it was not intentional. Society in general, relates the word evil to something religious, evil being synonymous with the devil. Take for example, the term.. "she's good at being bad" That could fall under a good thing for some guys and not so much for another. But it doesn't mean she's evil. It's all boils down to interpretation for each person and giving that word meaning in the context to which is was originally intended.

Yes, I understand fully that the context in which it is used has a lot to do with it.

If you actually study a thesaurus and several dictionaries it helps to better understand the general use of the words that is not always "religious".

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

And I have many personal examples of that phenomena.

Very few people are pure evil. Evil as a concept is a religious thing. Religion is evil in itself.

Evil is not specifically a religious concept. Religious sources may understand and use "evil" as apart of its teachings or understandings because of its value with the foundation of logic.

@Word The devil. The serpent. Hail Satan! "The Lord" is the evil one, Satan is the good guy.

@barjoe depending on what source you are refering to, you would have some correctness to your ideals.
Isaiah 45:7 ...I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Satan from Hebrew concepts had at times to mean adversary or something like the prosecution attorney for "god". I would have to research to find those sources, but that's best I can recall for now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:589612
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.