Agnostic.com

17 8

I spent an afternoon with a long time friend. He doesn't attend church, and we never really discussed religion. After I told this friend that my parents are constantly nagging for me to go to church and return back to god, he began to suggest that I at least attend the Unitarian Church. ...because people who don't believe in a higher power don't have a moral compass and can't be people with high morals. I was shocked. He was otherwise a highly intelligent man. I told him that I know the people who visit church every Sunday, trust me, many of them lack greatly in the department of morality. So, what do you think about this "moral compass" argument? I texted him afterwards, and told him I thought it was sad he thought that way, because I am an atheist. Also, because on average, all of my atheist friends have much higher morals because they are simply kind to their fellow man, not expecting any rewards in heaven.

JenWinter 4 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the moral compass he was talking about is the Bible, ask him to show you how it promotes a better morality than your own.

Hahaha! I never thought of heaven being a reward for morality before. makes sense. I can hear myself playfully asking friends "would you do more, less or the same amount of 'good deeds' if you knew there was no god observing them?"

Most religious people think that their morals have to do with their religion but quite frankly it has nothing to do with their religion. They are just that way. I think humanitarianism it's probably best to describe most atheists. We tend to look at people as actual people, and not what a book says on how to judge people. You do not need morals from a religious standpoint to be a good person, as a matter of fact I personally believe that atheists are some of the best people in the world if not the best because we don't single out individuals for their faults or the race or color or gender or sexuality, we except them for who we are. Religion does not allow that. You can message me anytime you like.

Spin city. Sounds like he'll eventually become atheist when he realizes his rationalizations about his current beliefs fall apart.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

To be honest, the thought of being in a "heaven" with my morally deficient, sociopathic ex-husband just because he repented before he died makes me want to throw up. Not to mention all of those "follow me or you're going to hell" evangelists that expect to go there.

I know more morally bankrupt Christians than morally bankrupt atheists.

Actually, I find that the opposite is true. Theists have free reign to do whatever they please. All they have to do is ask forgiveness for it and they're absolved. It abdicates all responsibility for their actions. Atheists actually have to deal with their own actions and come to terms with it. I feel it makes us more likely to use a moral compass.

Duke Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

I've never understood that argument, because it's so obviously false. While there are good and bad people from all backgrounds, it's quite obvious there are atheists who do good things for others, who give of their time and money charitably, and atheists do so without ever expecting an eternal reward. If I were you, I'd ask him for a detailed explanation of what he means and why he thinks atheists cannot be good people, and point out that there are many ethical systems, like humanism, that are fully developed and are not derived from a belief in God and focus on the wellbeing of people.

It is impossible for a theist to have a moral compass, as their decisions in life are based on a belief of punishment and reward for their actions.

That is not morality, that is self interest.

As we are free of those constraints our usual acceptance of the golden rule (a.k.a Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you) is an honest one and demonstrates true ethics.

To forestall his inevitable response Hitler was a catholic. . . 🙂.

We athiest use reason and logic to guide our actions. Morality is subject to change based on beliefs. But it will always be reasonable to treat others as you would want to be treated. We don't have a moral compass because we've risen above that way of thinking. Logic an reason will guide you better than morality, and it's changing guidelines,ever could.

Oh my, I so relate to this post. I can't even count how many times this type of mentality I have been subjected to over the years, from otherwise very intelligent and highly educated peoples. The levels of conditioning, programming, and subservience religion has infected our populace is so disheartening.

Thank you to everyone who replied. It's great to hear such support and fantastic ideas 😀

The Unitarians, are nondenominational, anhd some atheists attend services there and I am told are fully accepted, despite not believing. I have never been myself. Although, IO have suggested to my sister who seems to desire a "community" to belong to that she might want to check it out.

As far as a moral compass goes....

I have stated several times here, that I think the concept of confession and forgiveness actually causes more "sin" or bad behavior(s).

In order to feel good about themselves aq religion persons can behave badly, confess and then feel good about themselves, and repet this cycle countless times. That is nto how religious persons conceive of it, but it is how they practice it. They just are not too concerned with doing wrong, because they just need to confess to feel good about themselves and think of themselves as a "good person" again.

By contrast, an atheists, in order to feel good about themselves, and to think of themselves as a "good person", they have to just be good all the time, because they don't have tht easy way out via confession, to feel that what they did wrong really doesn't matter. So, atheists in general act more "moral" than religious persons do.

If religious persons actually followed a "moral compass" (but they don't), then we'd have a lot more peaceful of a world. Deep down they know that confession doesn't really make them a good person, so they spend a great deal of time trying to point of other people, whom they view as beign worse than they are themselves, which leads to conflicts and sometimes even wars.

There is a huge gap between how religious persons are supposed to act and how they actually do act..

I am an atheist who does attend a Unitarian Church. Atheists are certainly welcome. I go for community. We have an active Humanist group, of which most are atheists. Like a place where I don't have to censure what I say. I consider that my moral compass didn't come from a church, but how I chose to live my life. Being kind as much as I can.

OMG! Jen, I would have been sooooo pissed off! lol
Like you, I know a lot of self-proclaimed Christians who seem lacking in morals. I'm not sure it's worth saying much to this kind of person, because they already have their minds made up. I think they don't want to hear anything to the contrary.

Well said, Jen. You seem just fine to me (balanced, thoughtful, etc.!) and have no need to change to "fit in"! Keep it up!

It's a shame that is the common consensus toward non-believers by the religious.
They never look at the overwhelmingly abundant immoral actions of their pious brethren.

I did something to help a woman who looked at me in obvious amazement and said, "But you're an atheist." I think if we just keep on being ourselves and don't hide the fact that we don't believe in any supernatural gods, maybe the prejudice will evaporate. The religious only show their stupidity with this kind of non-thinking.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5905
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.