Agnostic.com

8 4

LINK Tackling Sex Education and Sexual Abuse in the Egyptian-Canadian Diaspora | Egyptian Streets

Sex education has been a the subject of controversy in Ontario, which is the most populated province in Canada, and holds one of the highest concentrations of Egyptians outside of Egypt. In December 2014, the Government of Ontario announced new initiatives to raise awareness, enhance prevention, and support victims of sexual violence and harassment. As part of these initiatives, Education Minister Liz Sandals finalized a new health and physical education curriculum targeting young people to teach them about gender inequality, healthy relationships, and consent. This curriculum was referred to as ‘Ontario’s Updated SexEd’. The last time it was updated was in 1998.

These new initiatives were not well received by conservative-leaning communities around the Province ... The Canadian Families Alliance mobilized conservative-leaning communities to oppose the new Sex-Ed curriculum. The Alliance organized a full blown campaign against the proposed curriculum, and even hosted rallies in front of the Ontario Parliament. The Coptic community and Coptic Orthodox Church were a major player in this debacle. The Church released a statement opposing the curriculum, stating that “the Government of Ontario is attempting to abduct the parenting responsibility from parents and to force a way of thinking on children without regard for Christian beliefs, morals and values.” The Church of The Virgin Mary and Saint Athanasius in Mississauga other religious organizations even offered bus rides to rallies in Downtown Toronto to oppose this new SexEd curriculum.

My cousin and his family were active in these rallies. I did mention, many years ago, to my cousin's son (when they were visiting for Christmas) that I approved of gay marriage and he wouldn't speak to me for the rest of the visit. He was still kind of pissed off a year later when he came to visit again! (He's grown some and has expanded his horizons, so I'm hoping he's not that close-minded anymore, but I couldn't say for sure ...)

The Coptic Orthodox community also created a counter curriculum to the proposed government curriculum. The Diocese of Mississauga, Vancouver, and Western Canada published a series of books titled, “A Christian Guide to Ontario’s Health and Physical Education Curriculum” ... There are many problems with the counter-curriculum, and one of them revolves around their problematic characterization of consent. Geared towards children in Grade 6, the curriculum describes consent as follows: “The concept of consent is simply a concept that goes hand in hand with the aforementioned concept of 'false freedom.' The world is trying to deceive our children into believing that the say is 'theirs' and not anybody else’s (including God). They are deceived that they can choose for themselves what to do and what not to do with their own bodies.”

That part blows my mind. They can't choose what to do with their own bodies??

altschmerz 9 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All xians are cultish enemies of free thought free love marriage equality abortion

@altschmerz I have many deeply religious friends comrades who value world peace and social justice services over sex cult issues....90% of catholics use condoms&pills.... But they do Not jail their rapist priests ....loyalty is the glue in cults

@altschmerz glad u survived u did the best u could back then

Religion can be problematic

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 20, 2021

Sex is a man/woman thing and you must present yourself to your husband the same way you present yourself to Christ. Many do not get it, but the scripture goes on to claim that in such submission you are being "effed" by the church.

@altschmerz Anyone that goes to church for sure.

Seems quite unhealthy to say the least. For most religious groups this would mean abstinence from sex until marriage, rather than an allowance for others to abuse, as implied by some below.
This being the case, teaching respect for self and sex, although well intentioned, is misguided as abstinence rarely works compared with actual sex education.
This US study from 2015 is a real eye opener:
[healthresearchfunding.org]

@altschmerz ah yes, I see the fundamental flaw now! 😂

So basically , "no," doesn't mean , "no?"

@altschmerz "Bugger the priest!" said the little boy.

What gets me is that if people cannot decide what to do with their own bodies, who the heck gets to decide what is done with anybody's body? Those pin-headed individuals need to learn to think!

That Coptic Orthodox policy echoes the Roman Catholic policy I’d been taught in the 1940s. I was 26 when I “hit bottom” and declared my independence with My life belongs to me!

Sadly, religions will not soon be charged with child abuse.

The dinosaurs are alive and well, and continuing to stifle humanity's struggle towards even a basic level of common human decency.

Wtf? Do they have any chance of preventing the new curriculum? I don’t know how influential religious nutters are up there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:590631
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.