Agnostic.com

2 9

Quebec top court upholds most of religious symbols secularism bill

A Canadian court has largely upheld a controversial Quebec law barring civil servants in positions of "authority" from wearing religious symbols at work.

But the province's top court struck down parts of the law that applied to English-speaking public schools.

Bill 21 prevents judges, police officers, teachers and public servants from wearing symbols such as the kippah, turban, or hijab while at work.

Adopted in June 2019, it has fuelled fierce debate throughout the country.

When are we going to see this in America? FFRF.... ?

St-Sinner 9 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Long overdue

I think people have a right to wear religious symbols.

People who are NOT government employees with "authority" have not had any rights infringed. ๐Ÿ˜›

@FearlessFly bit torn on this but would rather err on the side of personal freedom WITH the proviso that if the person wearing a religious symbol tries to impose any aspect of their religious beliefs they be removed from public service immediately

@bookofmorons There is freedom to not be a gov't employee and/or not in "authority". I see no reason why an 'authority' NEEDS to advertise any religion. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

ymmv

@FearlessFly this is an individual matter and NOT the governing "authority" - big difference

@bookofmorons This law affects ONLY civil servants in positions of "authority" while they are at work. I don't agree that "this is an individual matter ".

If you are advocating for NO individual rights can ever be infringed, I would never agree.

@FearlessFly then we will agree to disagree

Totally agree. Iโ€™m for all free speech, even if it offends me and I think itโ€™s ridiculous.

@CuddyCruiser Have you considered that government employees reporting to this 'authority' could easily be intimidated (regardless of the intent) by the religious symbol(s) displayed by a superior ?
Imagine an 'authority' with Xian symbols and islamic/buddhist/atheist subordinates.

I don't think that qualifies as "free speech".

@bookofmorons Nope, too easy for this to be ignored or protected. Once they take off the uniform, they are free to wear whatever they want.

@bookofmorons, @CuddyCruiser Nope, not as govt agent.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:590835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.