Agnostic.com

3 10

What great parental expectations were dashed by you or your child?

When my daughter Claire was born, I began buying one place setting of this Oneida stainless silverware pattern for her. I grew up with this silverware. Over the years, I added serving spoons and forks, and a butter knife. It became a set of twelve place settings.

My plan was to give the silverware to Claire for her first apartment. Should have waited until she turned thirty! It was stolen by a horrible roommate when she was eighteen.

Mom bought over fifty teaspoons for entertaining. People drank coffee after dinner.

When I was forty, Mom gave me her Oneida stainless silverware after she decided she wanted new silverware. That's why I have extra teaspoons.

Last weekend, I visited Claire and discovered she has no teaspoons. Just big soup spoons. So, I'm giving Claire a dozen teaspoons when she visits for Mother's Day.

"From Grandma Miller to me to you," I texted Claire.

"I love that story!" Claire, 31, replied. "THANK YOU!!!"

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Had my daughter pick an oneida pattern 3 years ago, Yule and birthdays and she now has a good service for 12. She'd had bits and pieces picked up at Goodwill and walmart before so she's excited and has had dinner for friends proudly since.

Great gesture on your part

@BudFrank

Thank you.

I have china, my kids don't want it. I use it when they come to dinner, and they tell me I shouldn't use "the good stuff" because it might get broken. I tell them if I don't use it now they will have to clean it out of my house when I'm gone. If it gets broken I'm really OK with that.

@HippieChick58

I have my parent's fine china with a gold rim. Hand-washing only.

Also own my parent's real silver silverware that requires polishing.

I doubt my daughter wants it, too.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.